Railroad Forums 

• MHWA Industrial Tracks, Utica

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#978162  by brockwaythemusician

I was going down Wurz Ave in Utica yesterday and thought I saw new track down behind the scrap metal facility (on the South side of the street between Wurz and the MHWA Yard) and into the open lot between industires. If memory serves me correctly, this area was overgrown the past few years so I can't tell if the tracks are new and getting put in, or if the grass and weeds had just been cleared out and I'd just never seen them there before. They did not appear to have been balasted.

I did some research and according to satelite images from June these tracks were not present, but an older arial image from 2008 not only shows tracks there, but extending back to the warehouses beyond the scrap metal facility... or I could have just been seeing things that don't exist.

My model railroad on this area is going from the planning stage to the building stage, so if indeed new track is being put in I'll need to make a few changes. If anyone can help verify or clarify any of this I would appreciate it.
 #984695  by Gunsnclapton

Im not positive but I thought they were switching over there a few weeks ago. I was working in the yard there and I could hear em on my hand held radio but I didn't see them. Either that or it could've been them in rome. What scale if you dont mind me asking.
 #999847  by Gunsnclapton

As a matter of fact, I was back there switching with the crew yesterday. They do in fact exist, it is for a feed mill and they take covered hoppers.
 #1007447  by brockwaythemusician

Wrong side of the street. I was heading back from N Utica today. There were some covered hoppers at the feed mill but across the street sticking out of the snow were two large bright orange bumpers. Those were the tracks I was referring to.

Also as a side question. Behind the feed mill there is another business that has a gate opening up by the tracks. Did that business ever get rail service?