Railroad Forums 

• NS Steel Cars at Scranton Yard

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#907157  by SemperFidelis

A few days ago I noticed some short (40 foot?) railcars at Scranton yard that appeared to be carrying bars of solid steel. The cars were Norfolk Southern, were painted in a nice grey and black scheme, and resembled a short gondola with one side removed and replaced with stakes.

I've never seen any of these cars aboard the line before and they seemed out of place, staged on a track that was between Tower 60 and some of the Steamtown equipment exhibits. Perhaps the track they were on was lined to the ammunition plant's gantry, but I couldn't get a good angle without trespassing.

Does anyone know why these cars were aboard DLRR and to where they were bound?
 #908110  by SemperFidelis

The material on them appeared to be bars of metal, maybe 6" X 6", but maybe I'm wrong. If they're still there today, I'll take a closer look.

Thank you!
 #908400  by dano23

I know I saw a picture of those cars coming through Slateford I believe but for the life of me I can't find them.