Railroad Forums 

• MHWA Engineer?

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#897583  by rockmonl

I heard from someone on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad that the MHWA's regular engineer is only 19 years old? Does anyone else know anything about it? Its pretty fascinating that such a young person would be running freight down a CSX mainline.
 #904580  by nessman

... and there are 18 yr old dying for our freedom overseas. Age has nothing to do with it so long as they possess the maturity to do the job.
 #907139  by SemperFidelis

In fact, there are 17 year old service members fighting for "our freedom" overseas. Too young to drink, old enough to die...

It's good to see young people with positions of responsibility in any industry.
 #908269  by Alek9997

There is indeed a 19 year old engineer on the MHWA, and I know him.
 #908284  by SemperFidelis

Too young to drink, old enough to be responsible for a multi-thousand ton train.

Something is wrong with this picture. Extend to that man, a member of a generation who (like my own) can't live without texting everything on their mind to a group of people who don't care, our congratulations at being capable of that level of maturity.
 #910484  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

Hell, I remember when the drinking age was 18 in New York, then raised to 19. It was still 19 in NY when I went to college in PA, where it was 21.

But alas, all it takes is a few irresponsible 18 yo drinkers, and the party was over for the rest of them.

Not unlike a few irresponsible passenger hoggers texting on the job, resulting in ATS/Cab Signals getting installed everywhere..... But hey, wait, that's happening too.
 #968995  by chrisnewhaven

I would love to be an engineer (especially on an Alco), and I'm not even old enough to drive! Also, I don't text every second, its more like every other second, lol
C.J.V.
 #1303013  by Gunsnclapton

chrisnewhaven wrote:I would love to be an engineer (especially on an Alco), and I'm not even old enough to drive! Also, I don't text every second, its more like every other second, lol
C.J.V.
 #1303092  by GE45tonner

I doubt this engineer is concerned whether his engine is an Alco or EMD, but more concerned with getting his train over the road safe.