Railroad Forums 

• Delaware Lackawanna Schedule

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#774162  by MEC&BAR

Hello

Does anybody know of or do they even have a schedule? I am planning to go there in early/mid march to hunt down there fleet of ALCO's/MLW's.
The other question is what might be a better railroad to go to the GVT system or the LAL/WNYP system?

I am coming from Maine so distance will be a factor and I will only be spending only a couple of days on one of the railroads.

Any information would be very appreciated.
Thank You
 #774223  by Sandy Burton

Travis,

You will find some action on the D-L around Scranton most any day of the week except, perhaps, Saturday. Nominally the Portland Turn runs M-W-F, but depending on various factors, like NS delivering cars to Slateford or the number of cars, or a hot grain train, they may adjust that schedule. There generally are two crews working somewhere on weekdays.

From what I read on the internet, the WNY&P is hit-or-miss. However, I suggest you pose your question on one of the several LAL/WNY&P forums. The LAL is a lot more predictable, again a M-W-F schedule to Genessee Junction is typical. There usually is a switch job at Lakeville and there can be a run to Avon to switch one of the customers there most any day. As with most short lines, the customer's needs usually dictate when they run. As for the B&H, that is a nice chase, but I am not familiar with their schedule. When I have been there in the summer, they usually have been running to Painted Post. There is a site on Railfan.net that usually has pretty up to date information on all of the LAL family of railroads.

It is a hard choice to pick only one.

Sandy
 #1019590  by indie1361

Any idea when they would usuaally depart Scranton? I think I saw one when I was at Steamtown but it was either a Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks,
 #1034589  by SemperFidelis

While nothing is definite, we seem to get lucky with trains departing Scranton (for Portland) around 10AM, but the time varies from day to day. A lot of switching takes place behind Scranton University where lumber cars, unit grain hoppers, sand hoppers, tank cars, and box cars are shuffled around into proper order before departure.

I live next to Nay Aug Park and try to catch as many trains as possible with my sons. All of the crews are incredibly nice and will answer questions provided you are respectful of thier operations, the company's property, and observe strict safety procedures.

We've recently seemed to catch a lot of trains returning to Scranton around 6PM, though there is a lot of variation from day to day.
 #1039414  by Otto Vondrak

MEC&BAR wrote:The other question is what might be a better railroad to go to the GVT system or the LAL/WNYP system?
We generally ask LAL/WNYP questions in the LAL/WNYP forum: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=113

-otto-