Railroad Forums 

• Lowville & Beaver River box cars in Utica

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#886325  by brockwaythemusician

Luther Brefo wrote:Just so you know, these boxcars like other cars marked for GVT roads can be found anywhere on the North American railroad system. These specific cars just happen to be in this pool.
True. I don't know a lot about railcar pools but I thought I read that when cars were not in use they needed to be heading towards their home railroad. I just found it odd that these particular cars were sitting seemingly dormant when: A) their home railroad has (or in this case, another division of GVT) a yard less than 3 miles away and B) the railroad that has had them sitting (NYSW) also has a yard three miles away.
 #908270  by Alek9997

Is Bailie Lumber in Smyrna even still getting Rail Service? I have not seen a train on the line south of Sangerfield for quite some time, so I would assume they are not. Chenango Valley Pet Foods isn't either I don't think.