Railroad Forums 

• D.L.&W. Caboose 701

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#659365  by Benjamin Maggi

Hey gang.
I usually am found on the Arcade and Attica RR thread but I am in search of some information on Lackawanna cabooses and thought I would come here first. I am a live steamer and am building a train in 1.5" scale (1/8 the size of the real thing.) For my caboose, I wanted to choose a prototype found in the North East. I looked through all five volumes of [*]Cabins, Crummies & Hacks[*] by John Henderson and was drawn to the Lackawanna 700 series cabooses. With a center cupola featuring double-wide windows, four windows per side that are double height, and really unique trucks on at least #701. A quick Google search didn't turn up much, so this is my next stop. I will also be contacting any historical societies that might be helpful too.

I am interested any books or magazines that feature pictures, drawings, or historical information on these cars. Drawings would be best because I am building a scale model of them, pictures are better than nothing. When were they built? Did they feature those strange trucks as standard? (Are they Bettendorf "T" section trucks, or milk-car trucks?) Were they originally red, or brown? When were they removed from service? What regions did they operate in? Etc...

Any leads will be chased, and any costs associated with helping me will be reimbursed. Thanks.

P.S. The Genesee and Wyoming owned at least one of them (#08), which is pretty cool because it is a local railroad to my hometown of Rochester!

Below is a link to a picture online of one: http://el-list.railfan.net/new/dlw701.jpg
 #659532  by BR&P

Can't help with technical details but at least one was sold to Raritan River RR #5, and another to Apalachicola Northern in Florida.
 #659841  by Benjamin Maggi

Are there any books (like one of Larry DeYoungs) that feature these cabooses in them?
 #663760  by nydepot

You know the one the G&W (#8) is at the museum in Rush, the NYMT? Painted as G&W. You can get all the photos and measurements you need.

Charles
 #663779  by BR&P

Depew Lancaster & Western has assigned reporting marks of DLWR but is sometimes referred to as the DL&W. But the DL&W caboose you seek info on was Delaware Lackawanna & Western. In that context, it has no connection with the GVT. You might have better luck if you post under "Fallen Flags" on the DL&W-Erie-EL forum, maybe someone there has the drawings and blueprints.