Railroad Forums 

• D-L out of Scranton / General Questions

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#599913  by carajul

Following the D-L trackage eastward out of Steamtown I must say I'm impressed. I recall when the trackage from Scranton to Del W Gap was rusted solid and trees fallen over it back in the '80s. Track looks to be in good shape, and there are quite a few online customers, some with small yards.

Can anyone answer these questions...

1. What was the ROW that paralleles the D-L track, including bridges, out of Scranton? At the Elmhurst Resevoir this line turned northward while the D-L heads east.

2. What is the yard just north of the Tobyhanna army depot? It's full of cars. Looks like hoppers. It's right along Tobyhanna Rd.

3. Does the army depot itself get any rail service? It appears as though all the tracks that ran thru the depot are torn up/paved over. You can see there are stub tracks that one made up a network of trackage thru the complex but the tracks are severed.

4. What is current track speed?
 #599918  by JhnZ33

carajul wrote:Can anyone answer these questions...

1. What was the ROW that paralleles the D-L track, including bridges, out of Scranton? At the Elmhurst Resevoir this line turned northward while the D-L heads east.
I believe the ROW you are referring to is the Erie's Wyoming and Jessup branches. Can't anwer any of your other questions though.
 #599982  by Andyt293

Tobyhanna Army Depot gets sporadic service. I recall seeing flat cars carrying military equipment slated for communication upgrades shipped in and out of there.The yard is on the Depot's property and is part of the complex itself and seems to be used mostly for car storage. I know Steamtown has stored many of their pieces that are in rough shape at the yard over the years.a

The area near I-84 was a spaghetti bowl of track at one time. There was the ERIE's Wyoming Division trackage that ran from Pittston to Hawley. The ERIE's Jessup branch which eventually connected to the ERIE's Jefferson Railroad (leased to and sold in the 1950's to the D&H) in Carbondale spun off of the Wyoming Division in this area as did the ERIE's Scranton Branch. In addition to the ERIE trackage, The Lackawanna's Nay Aug branch also started in this area as well.
 #600264  by mikeexplorer

carajul wrote:Following the D-L trackage eastward out of Steamtown I must say I'm impressed. I recall when the trackage from Scranton to Del W Gap was rusted solid and trees fallen over it back in the '80s. Track looks to be in good shape, and there are quite a few online customers, some with small yards.

Can anyone answer these questions...

2. What is the yard just north of the Tobyhanna army depot? It's full of cars. Looks like hoppers. It's right along Tobyhanna Rd.

3. Does the army depot itself get any rail service? It appears as though all the tracks that ran thru the depot are torn up/paved over. You can see there are stub tracks that one made up a network of trackage thru the complex but the tracks are severed.

4. What is current track speed?

Although some have been answered. Here is my 2-cents.

1: The ROW once was the Erie's Wyoming Division. The larger bridge that crosses over the Lackawanna's tracks was the Erie's Jessup Branch which serviced the Keystone Industrial park and once connected to the Jessup Railyard. It also had a connection to Winton Junction and the D&H's Penn Division. Tracks last used in the 1980's and are still in place for the most extent. The smaller bridge that crosses over the Lackwanna's tracks was also the Erie's Wyoming Division. This was the part that was abandoned in the 1960's and no tracks remain. This headed towards Hawley. It runs along the Lackawanna's tracks across Roaring brook until like you said, the Elmhurst Reservoir. then it turns northward.

I have a photoset of this line on my site. Located here.

http://nepaview.piczo.com/?g=14615729&cr=4

2: Tobyhanna does still indeed have a yard but I don't know hoe much its used anymore. Steamtown did store some stuff there for years but I think they got booted out.

3: Don't know, I do know of one stub track coming off the main line that is not paved over and does look like its still in use. This is just before the Route 611 intersection.

4: I believe 45 mph.

Mike