Railroad Forums 

• 4068 Returns to service-Painted!

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#588221  by Alcoman

I have recently been informed that Ex-D&H RS-3 # 4068 has been repainted and returned to service. It wears the D&H black & yellow just like 4116 and 4103.
 #588435  by RS-3

What year is it? No where else in the world can you find THREE operating RS-3s. And in spiffy, matching paint no less. And on original ex-D&H units in D&H colors. Kudos to the GVT guys for keeping these units,with 150 years of collective service, in service today. Forget Steamtown, the DL is the real show!(OK, Steamtown is nice too.)

RS
 #608405  by RS-3

I think a good steam cleaning is what produced the "heritage unit" it is today:-)

But I'm all for another good cleaning, followed by a nice corporate scheme repainting!

RS
 #609308  by Otto Vondrak

RS-3 wrote:What year is it? No where else in the world can you find THREE operating RS-3s. And in spiffy, matching paint no less. And on original ex-D&H units in D&H colors. Kudos to the GVT guys for keeping these units,with 150 years of collective service, in service today. Forget Steamtown, the DL is the real show!(OK, Steamtown is nice too.)
Someone obviously lurks these boards!
 #613581  by alcodoc

I ran the engines that day...pushed an 89 car grain train up the mountain....left Scranton in Run 8 at about 9 mile per hour...didn't think we would make Myrtle Street......Was in Run 8 for about an hour......And Alco said about the RS3..." To Meet the Changing Motive Power Needs of America's Railroads".

Alcodoc
 #614865  by coosvalley

Here are some shots of the 4068 way back when I knew her as the 7801.At the time she was the only seviceable unit on the combined New Hampshire & Vermont/ Lamoille Valley Railroads. She served alone for about a year until other units were made seviceable. These were taken in 89;