Railroad Forums 

• MA&N line to Newton Falls status?

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#543333  by RussNelson

As far as I know, Newton Falls is still connected to the national rail network. A couple of years ago a group of county officials was taken on an inspection tour via hyrail. They had to get out and inspect the rails where beavers had flooded them. I've heard two polar opposites: that the Newton Falls paper plant manager has no interest in using the tracks, and that he is keenly interested in getting rail service to carry raw materials in and paper out. The biggest problem is (obviously) the beaver flooding, followed by the many years of no tie replacement. Gotta figure that one of every three ties needs to be replaced.

Some pictures: http://flickr.com/photos/russnelson/set ... 794368364/
 #544110  by RussNelson

Just got off the phone with the Lewis County IDA. They said that Genesee Valley Transportation and Newton Falls Fine Paper want to recuscitate the Carthage Branch. Of course, if the state is willing to reconstruct it for them, they're happy to take state monies. They're meeting next week with New York State legislators to see if they're willing to foot the bill.
 #547926  by RussNelson

Thanks. He also pointed out that although the Lewis County registrar of deeds has the IDA's name on it, they have a legal agreement in place which gives GVT enough control that they are effectively the owners of the railroad. They probably have the right to purchase the railroad for the steel's salvage value, or something like that.
 #547953  by nessman

nessman wrote:Didn't the MA&N receive some state $$$ in the past couple of years?
To answer my own question:
2009-2010 - $1.49 million to Mohawk Adirondack & Northern Railroad Corp. for track rehabilitation in Utica and Rome, Oneida County, and Lyons Falls, Lewis County (that would be the "southern division" of the MA&N).
 #548133  by med-train

RussNelson wrote:Thanks. He also pointed out that although the Lewis County registrar of deeds has the IDA's name on it, they have a legal agreement in place which gives GVT enough control that they are effectively the owners of the railroad. They probably have the right to purchase the railroad for the steel's salvage value, or something like that.
The IDA has title in order to exempt it from property taxes. Title remains in IDA hands for a specified period and then reverts back to GVT. The agreement usually requires GVT to pay an agreed amount in-lieu of the property tax during the period. GVT is given the right to operate and maintain the property during this period. It also helps in getting transportation grant funding for upgrading. Having active customers on the line also helps.
 #560216  by x1sspic

Today the MA&N #642 pushed a string of cars out the line to just beyond the S. Bonaparte Rd - a handful of old NYC/Conrail/CSXT boxcars and CSXT coal hoppers were left. These are apparently being stored for CSX. This move was preceded by the use of a Jordan spreader to clear the vegetation :-D
 #561430  by BillM

I have some photos taken Saturday from Newton Falls to Southshore Road, Lake Bonaparte. Will have them posted in a few more days.

Bill
 #563308  by RussNelson

thebigham wrote:Russ, in your pics, was some of the line torn up?
I didn't see anything torn up, but it's paved over in Newton Falls. I heard from somebody in the USDA Soil & Water Service that they had gone on a hy-rail ride a couple of years ago, and the only trouble they had was that beavers had flooded the track, so they had to get out often and make sure that the trails were contiguous and not undermined.