Railroad Forums 

• Batavia Division

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#449663  by thebigham

I took some pics in Batavia last month:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/show/?order= ... 20Railroad

Not the greatest pics. I was shooting into the sun a lot because it was late in the day.

I had not seen the two new sidings before.

I'm very gald the old LV mainline is being used.
 #453416  by agvter

The new siding by Genesee Lumber is called the PLANK. It is used to switch out CSX’s interchange because the interchange yard is usually crowded. I also allows for storage space for Georgia Pacific paper loads and empty gons for Eddie Arnold Scrap loading.

In May 2007 GVT RAIL System moved its corporate offices into the Genesee Economic Development Corporation's offices at 1 Mill Street Suite 101 Batavia, NY 14020. The new offices are next to the DL&W Batavia Division trackage, the former NYC Main in downtown Batavia, and across from the soon to be reactivated former NYC roundhouse. GVT has dug up the old pit in the roundhouse, will extend the pit with new concrete and lay track into the roundhouse, turning it back into an active roundhouse for the first time in over 50 years!

On Saturday October 6th 2007 Amtrak brought two locomotives and two Amfleet cars to the same trackage at Mill Street for fire and safety training. A rare treat to see Genesis units and Amfleet in downtown Batavia!

#453656  by thebigham

Wow, I hope someone got pics!!

#483782  by Champlain Division

Who owns/runs the trackage from Batavia to Attica? I assume the junction about halfway is no longer a functional interchange with G&W.

#483926  by clearblock

Champlain Division wrote:Who owns/runs the trackage from Batavia to Attica? I assume the junction about halfway is no longer a functional interchange with G&W.
Batavia to Attica??? That is nowhere near the G&W. Do you mean the former "Peanut" east from Batavia to the G&W at P&L junction?
That track no longer exits between Batavia and P&L.

#484215  by Farmer Joe

[Batavia to Attica??? That is nowhere near the G&W. Do you mean the former "Peanut"]

He might have meant the DLW into Groveland. That split off of the Erie about half way between Attica and Batavia. It was the D&H that used that to interchange with the G&W. Either way, its all gone in that area. I heard NS even quit using the Erie from Attica to Alexander.

Of course non of the above was ever a part of the GVT..........

Joe

#484254  by metman499

Right Joe. Now that this is straightened out, keep it to GVT.
 #491740  by RailKevin

agvter wrote:I also allows for storage space for Georgia Pacific paper loads and empty gons for Eddie Arnold Scrap loading.
Do you know which business uses the GP paper loads?

Also, where is the scrap yard located? Is that the place I see just off Rte 63?

#492203  by nessman

I'm assuming the GP loads are for Majic.

#492650  by Nathan M3

GP paper is for Majic Corrigated. Scrap is loaded at Evans St. by Eddie
Arnold Recycling of E. Pembroke. Scrap is trucked from their yard to be loaded in Batavia.
 #517879  by park

Is there any regular scheduled days they work the Batavia Division? i saw them on a Tuesday several weeks back in poor weather and would like to visit them again under better conditions. Thank you

park

#518820  by Nathan M3

Batavia is usually done on Tuesday and Thursday. Start time depends on if Lancaster need to be done first.
 #975585  by thebigham

#1055525  by ctclark1

Don't mean to necropost as such, but didn't know if this really deserved its own thread...
Drove through Batavia on 98 on my way home from work for the first time in quite a while. (Usually I use 33 instead) and noticed that the switch was relaid between 98 and the Ton Creek bridge. Just curious when this was done, I hadn't seen anything on it, and Bird's Eye only shows the switch in place with certain views.