Railroad Forums 

• Scrapping of parts engines

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#378383  by alcodoc

To answer a few questions: The 351 was never seriously considered for rebuild at the time of purchase. It needs everything. Wheels, engine, wiring, cab, plumbing, and so forth. However, with the price of good four axle power of any make going up I decided to place it last on the hit list. In other words, the "jury" is still out. After another inspection on Wenesday afternoon I wasn't too convinced that she will run again without outright replacement major componets. The 324 would be a better canadate to return to service and strip the 351 for some expensive electrical parts....only if we rebuild in-kind with as delieved GE "Static" control.

Again, the 134, nee NYC 8280, was thought to be a rebuild canadate only in passing. She will not be save and is currently being scrapped. All usable parts will keep other locomotives operating for a long time.

The 204 will not be rebuilt....same fate as the 134.

The 3603 is being stripped of usable parts and will be scrapped.

The 327 was purchased as parts and has filled that need. More will be removed and the prime mover traded to an Alco engine rebuider for credits on rebuilt 251 engines.

These locomotives are not for sale. Many parts that are needed will not allow the locomotives to ever move again. Wheels and traction motors, certain carbody parts, are very expensive. All above locomotives will be stripped of such. These units will keep the Alco fleet running for a long time......More later.

alcodoc

#378979  by John_Henry

It seems that the answer to preserving the last of "rare roads" power is to make a financial commitment that is viable to the operator. With the interest in the L&HR RS-3, has anyone with a credible museum tried to work out a financial arrangement with the Battenkill that will save their unit when the time comes?

#379618  by b&m617

Thanks, Don, for the info and for taking the time to pass it on. This will also relieve some congestion in the yard; did this weigh into the equation of scrapping these??

work safe
Derail :P

#379670  by traingeek8223

One down. Went to Scranton yesterday to take some funeral shots. Guess I was too late for the 134. This was all I found.

[/img]http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=690997

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=691005

#399654  by Nova55

Any updates on the scrapping process?

#399676  by Alcoman

The scrapping has stopped for the time being. 134 was in the shop Monday getting it engine rebuilt to be transplanted into 4118. There is not much left of 134 as most parts have been removed.
There was a few others that have not been scrapped yet including the 204, C425 # 327 and RS-11 # 351.
The two prime movers on the flat car have been sold to someone for rebuilding.

#399678  by scottychaos

DLWR RS11 3603 (ex CV 3603) has been moved, but still exists as of 5/9/07.
I spotted her a week ago, moved to that industrial plant in Depew (where the CP steam engine sits.)
looks like she is being slowly taken apart..some parts missing from the last time I saw her:

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... 1-3603.jpg

looks like she is slowly fading away.
I couldnt get close enough to get any photos.
I will be out to Buffalo again next week, I will check again then.

Scot

#421920  by scottychaos

scottychaos wrote:DLWR RS11 3603 (ex CV 3603) has been moved, but still exists as of 5/9/07.
I spotted her a week ago, moved to that industrial plant in Depew (where the CP steam engine sits.)
looks like she is being slowly taken apart..some parts missing from the last time I saw her:

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... 1-3603.jpg

looks like she is slowly fading away.
I couldnt get close enough to get any photos.
I will be out to Buffalo again next week, I will check again then.

Scot
3603 still just sitting there on 7/11/07..
appears unchanged from May.
looks like she is going to sit for awhile..

I will check whenever im out in Buffalo, and will post if she disappears.

Scot

#424005  by traingeek8223

"Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated." Well maybe not greatly. DL 134 in the dead line 7/16/07.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=815284

#424137  by nessman

Surely they can still save her, right?
 #574706  by Nathan M3

Over the past year the 3603 at Depew has been mostly disassembled for parts salvage. Three of the wheelset/traction motor combos were sent to Scranton last November. There are a few more parts to save as time allows then the remains will be cut up.
 #589312  by photorailfan

During 2008 railfest, i went to the dead line and saw much of the engines still the way they were a year before. traingeek8223, Great shot. Here's my two cents. This was taken during railfest 2007.
 #599095  by Alcoman

With all the(27) RS-18's and 7 C424's about to become available (from NBEC) saving every RS-11 will not be needed. Many of these NBEC MLW's have been rebuilt and in some cases upgraded.