Railroad Forums 

• ITEMS STOLEN FROM D-L LOCOMOTIVES

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#204226  by Alcoman

I learned recently that there has been both horns AND Builders Plates removed from various D-L locomotives over the past couple months.

I have been advised that anyone cought removing property from any D-L locomotives will be turned over to local police.

Futhermore, if this trend does not stop, it may lead to baning visitors on D-L property.

#204415  by metman499

Were these items removed when the locos were on DL property or, as with the RS-3s from a few years ago, when they were on the property of another RR? edit: I was under the impression that the builders plates on the DL locos were repros.

#204434  by Alcoman

The item were stolen while the locomotives were on D-L property.
The builders plates I am told are original. In the future, repros will be made and welded on the locomotives.
 #205430  by park

This is sad! The DL has revitalized a dying railroad, provided many railfans with uncountless hours of enjoyment photographing and following an antique fleet of well maintaned Alco's and on top of this has remained railfan friendly. If some over zealous railfan wants to screw this up in the sack of obtaining a piece of metal, he or she should be handed over to the police on a plate. Fellow railfans, I encourage everyone who visits the DL to keep their eyes open as I for one who regularly visits the DL would hate to see this railroad go the other way and become like so many other railroads and become unfreindly.

park
 #211208  by gawlikfj

I agree with Park 100%.
The D-L is railfan friendly and to have it ruined by a few nit wits with nothing else to do.
Please keep your eyes & ears open and report it .- Please !!!
 #215602  by Matt Langworthy

Whether repros or roginals- theft is illegal. Let's keep vigilant so we can catch the perpetrator and turn him/her over to the police. This could have affects beyond the D-L. Other GVT lines like the Falls Road may impose a similar ban inthioer facilities. That, in turn, may lead to other Alco havens like LAL following suit. Please, let's catch this jerk so these events don't come to pass...

#277430  by dummy

what ever happened with this case? was anyone ever caught? has the thefts stopped ?

#370868  by lvrr325

Personally, I'd cast up copies out of something brittle - resin maybe - so they break when you try to pry them off or whack on/around them. That would be a nice surprise for the clowns who try to steal them.

I don't know why you'd steal something like that anyways. CSX might not miss a plate or two, but a GVT plate you'd never be able to sell or anything, it would be obvious quickly where it came from.