Railroad Forums 

• Fatality - Pedestrian in Scranton

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#1369787  by SemperFidelis

Though the news release was incredibly brief and non specific, it appears that a Delaware Lackawanna train struck and killed a pedestrian near the end of the old Laurel Line tunnel.

Knowing the area quite well, I can see neither a way to be in that area without obviously trespassing nor a way that a train would be travelling fast enough to hit someone before coming to a stop but, not knowing specifics, it could well be that someone stepped in front of the train or was walking with ear phones in or what have you.

Hope the crew and the family of the victim are okay. Tough time for all involed, I'm sure.
 #1369828  by SemperFidelis

It turns out the pedestrian/trespasser was walking in the old Laurel Line tunnel when a train struck him. The train must have either been coming to or going from the CPGI Plastic plant on Davis Street.

I can't link to the story, but thanks to the Scranton Times Tribune for the unfortunate news.
 #1370097  by SemperFidelis

The victims' name was James Brozino, no know address. The police presume he was a homeless man and he does look like a fellow my sons and I spoke to who lived in a tent by the tracks along Laurel Line Avenue by the plastics plant in the valley next to Roaring Brook. If any local railfans may know him, his picture is on the mainpage here:

http://thetimes-tribune.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article may no longer be there by Sunday.

Anyone with any information about this man is asked to contact the Scranton Police.