Railroad Forums 

• Sleeping ALCOs

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#1243264  by Phil12string

I was in Scranton on 1/12/14 at the DL shops, and saw most of the road fleet dead with stacks capped. Also saw an ex-CONRAIL GP-10(?) marked "DLRWY" coupled to one of the EL painted C-425s behind the shop. Hope this isn't an omen for the future! The C 425 must have suffered a main generator problem, as the generator was removed from the carbody. New parts installed on the prime mover and careful storage of removed hood parts and the generator shield indicate a resurrection sometime in the future. Her sister EL painted C 425, along with the ex-ADIRONDACK SCENIC C 424 (DL 4243) were capped and stored on the food distribution warehouse lead. Only units not in attendance were the 2 M420's, the "Lehigh Valley" painted C-420, and DL painted C 420 (DL 405). Also, I didn't see the C-636 (DL 3642) or the C 630M (DL 3000). I know that the C 636's front truck had been removed and repaired last fall, and the unit was then stored on the food distributor warehouse lead when completed. M 636 (DL 4743) was on one of the shop leads with stack capped, along with a RS11 (DL 1804), RS32 (DL 211), and all three RS-3's. Hope all these sleeping ALCOs were just a sign of a seasonal traffic fall-off, rather than of a long term economic problem.
 #1244086  by Phil12string

I finally reviewed my photos from that day. The C 425 with the bad generator is DL 2452 and the ex-CONRAIL Geep is #5460 and is in full CR blue paint and stenciled (in free hand black spray paint) "DLWR".
 #1244098  by scottychaos

Phil12string wrote: Also saw an ex-CONRAIL GP-10(?) marked "DLRWY" coupled to one of the EL painted C-425s behind the shop. Hope this isn't an omen for the future!
It is not an omen for the future, as that unit is almost certainly the DL&W GP7 preserved by the Tri-State Chapter NRHS with help from GVT.
It is not a sign that GVT might be considering switching from Alco to EMD power! ;)
Its a historic preservation..see here for more info:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot