Railroad Forums 

• Speeders and rail bikes

• Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
 #842910  by jambo101

At a recent trip to a rail museum near Montreal i got to liking one of the little speeder track maintenance cars and was wondering if there are any clubs or club runs in the Montreal area or if there are any large speeder rallies in the north east.
also as restored and running speeders dont come cheap is there a cheaper motorized vehicle made for track riding,perhaps a converted scooter or quad atv?
The start of a passion.=
 #843882  by RussNelson

I rode on Hank's electrified railrunner a couple of times. Search in my flickr pages (link below) for "railrunner". It's a four-wheeled bicycle (oxymoron alert!) which has railroad flanges molded onto the bicycle wheels. Unfortunately, NARCOA prohibits plastic wheels, so you'll have to do your own negotiating for access to trackage. Volunteered to pick up trash along the ROW has worked for Hank and I. We managed to fill a 40 gallon bag on one trip.

But I must warn you that Hank "got the bug" and bought himself a NARCOA-compatible gasoline railcar.
 #845574  by litz

RussNelson wrote:Volunteered to pick up trash along the ROW has worked for Hank and I. We managed to fill a 40 gallon bag on one trip.
I participated a few years back on a "clean the track" day on the Blue Ridge Scenic's ROW ... it really needed it, as it hadn't been done in several years.

We picked up 3 motorcar trailers (the long tie/equipment trailers a Fairmont A series motorcar can tow) worth of trash including - yes - a stainless steel kitchen sink.

Absolutely amazing what can find its way trackside literally in the middle of nowhere.

- litz