Railroad Forums 

• RDC variations - 5, 6 7 and 8

• Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
 #806320  by modorney

Budd produced RDC's in five styles - RDC1, 2, 3, 4 and 9

The RDC 9 was a later design - one engine and no controls (other than hostling).

Were there ever RDC 5, 6 , 7 and 8? Any proposals, marketing brochures?

(I understand the term "RDC5" has been variously applied to both homemade - non Budd - versions, and the RDC9)

I have not seen the two RDC books in years -
http://www.amazon.com/Rdc-Budd-Rail-Die ... 931&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Budd-car-story-Ch ... 31&sr=1-12

But they may mention the variations?

I seem to remember vague mentions of railroads wanting something with sleeping facilities, as well as a simple kitchen and dining area. The food part would be split between two cars, and the rest of the two cars would be sleeping accomodations. But that's an old, vague memory.

cheers,
Mike O
 #806512  by ex Budd man

I don't recall any 5, 6, 7, or 8 variant. RDC 1 is all passenger seating, RDC 2 is a combine; passenger/ baggage. RDC 3 is passenger, baggage, railway post office. RDC 4 was baggage/ RPO and RDC 9 was a cabless trailer with only one powered axle. BTW the RDC 4 was several feet shorter than the standard 85 foot length RDC.
 #806592  by modorney

Wow, an "ex Budd man" ! Sounds good!

I think one concept for the Budd car was to keep it under 45 tons, to meet the union rules for one man operation. The RPO furniture, machinery, etc., would put a regular Budd car over the limit, so they chopped it 13 feet, to get it back to 44 tons.

I just wondered why they went from 4 to 9. I'm guessing that there were some variants that were planned, but never produced?
 #806658  by ex Budd man

I've asked several people about the 'missing' RDC designations but never got a satisfactory answer. A few conflicting answers, but nothing concrete. All of Septa's RDCs were retired before I hired, sadly.
rdgRdgTerm5.jpg
 #806764  by eddiebehr

Regarding modorney's comment about the weight. I think an RDC-1 weighs more than 45 tons. When RDCs were introduced and for decades thereafter, locomotive engineers' pay rates were based on "weight on the drivers" a holdover from steam days. (The bigger and more complicated the engine, the higher the pay.) Pay rates were computed as so much per mile with a certain minimum. The RDC-1 has 4 axles but only two are powered. So, to get weight on drivers take total weight, divide by 4 total axles and mulitply by 2 powered axles to get weight on drivers. As long as weight on drivers was under 45 tons, an RDC could operate with just an engineer in the cab. On the B & M an RDC-1 and RDC-9 combination could operate with just the engineer; total 8 axles, 3 powered (the drivers).
A number of roads fitted up their RDCs with amenitites. B & O had several RDC-2s set up for food service on the Philadelphia-Washington-Pittsburgh Daylight Speedliner. Several RDCs purchased secondhand from B & M by Reading were likewise set up for snack and beverage service. New Haven's Roger Williams units were built with locomotive cabs at either end. Originally set up for food service from food carts, one Williams car was rebuilt with a galley and food service area shortly after entering service. The Williams cars were close enough to standard RDCs that they mated with them and spent more of their lives in Boston commuter service than anywhere else. Boston & Maine's 6212 replaced the railroad's business cars and the baggage section was equipped with a kitchen. The passenger section had brackets below the window sills on which one-legged tables, for food service or looking at plans or reading materials, were attached. The 6212 was a fast car but spent most of its time in commuter service, mostly between Boston-South Acton-Ayer-Fitchburg because it had cab signals. The kitchen area was kept locked except when in use as a business car. A narrow corridor led from the passenger section to the engineer's compartment along one side of the car. The 6212 had a stack out the roof to vent the small stove in the kitchen.
 #806844  by DutchRailnut

correct the RDC-1 was 118 000 Lbs but only half of that was on drivers as two outside axles are idlers.
 #806856  by Ken S.

ex Budd man wrote:I've asked several people about the 'missing' RDC designations but never got a satisfactory answer. A few conflicting answers, but nothing concrete. All of Septa's RDCs were retired before I hired, sadly.
rdgRdgTerm5.jpg
When was this pic taken? I noticed all the Silverliner IVs on the right. I'm guessing it had to be sometime during their delivery.
 #806951  by ex Budd man

The RDCs ran until 1983 when the CCCT opened and all diesel operation ended. The photo may have been taken during the mid 1970s as the SL -IV cars were being delivered.
rdg07.jpg
 #857603  by keyboardkat

If the 45-ton limit enabled RDC operation with one man in the cab, then how come on the LIRR RDC excursions I rode back in 1959 and 1960, there was always a fireman sitting on the left-had side of the cab? The LIRR units had cab signal heads on the fireman's side, as well as the engineer's side.

But those uncomfortable-looking bicycle-type seats for the engineer and fireman! How anyone could sit on them and operate, say, a long-distance RDC train is beyond me. I understand the phase II RDCs had better seating for the crew.
 #877259  by ENR3870

Canadian Pacific Railway had RDC-5's. It's what they called RDC-2's that had the baggage compartment converted to more passenger seating. VIA Rail Canada has one of these RDC-5's still in active service, VIA 6148 on Vancouver Island.
Last edited by ENR3870 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #877260  by ENR3870

keyboardkat wrote:If the 45-ton limit enabled RDC operation with one man in the cab, then how come on the LIRR RDC excursions I rode back in 1959 and 1960, there was always a fireman sitting on the left-had side of the cab? The LIRR units had cab signal heads on the fireman's side, as well as the engineer's side.
Different railroad, different rules.