Railroad Forums 

• Japanese Hybrid and Freight EMUs...

• Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
 #59377  by Komachi

Good news, everyone!

I'm always saying "Hey guys," so I thought I'd quote good ol' prof. Farnsworth this time around.

Anyway, as not to be done by Toyota and the Prius, the East Japan Railway Company (JR East) is currently developing a Hybrid EMU. Here's a link from the Japan Railway and Transport Review article below.

http://www.jrtr.net/jrtr36/pdf/photo.pdf

(Note: it's a PDF file, so you need Adobe Acrobat to read it)

Also, there's an article about a new type of EMU container train JR Freight is developing for use on the Tokyo - Osaka line (I believe they're talking about the Tokaido Line, but there's another one that runs between Tokyo and Osaka just to the north of the Tokaido).

Hope you guys enjoy it!

#59421  by David Benton

On the hybrid railcar , seems strange to have the batteries on the roof , one would think that would give the vechicle a high centre of gravity .

i like the container train , great concept if they can compete over 500 km . hopefully more of this type of thing in europe will be developed too .
i think the french had a similiar concept .

#59612  by railfanofewu

I think that there might be room for both in the North American Market. THe Hybrid EMU would work in areas that are enviromentally sensitive.

#245849  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:On the hybrid railcar , seems strange to have the batteries on the roof , one would think that would give the vechicle a high centre of gravity .

i like the container train , great concept if they can compete over 500 km . hopefully more of this type of thing in europe will be developed too .
i think the french had a similiar concept .
There's a freight DMU in Germany, and in Britain they are using Special Purpose Vehicles (usually for maintenance work) to carry timber in small amounts.