Railroad Forums 

• abandon MBTA RDC-1

• Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
 #693868  by daylight4449

now a few weeks ago, after leaving the steaming tender in palmer, i noticed an abandon RDC, which i hadn't noticed on my prior visit the past week. looks like it could run!
 #695132  by daylight4449

atsf sp wrote:Where is it in Palmer?
Palmer Ma. There is a resurant called the Steeming Tender

then you go to the NECR yard office, which acts as the local crew base for the new england central. right across from that on a abandon spur track, is the RDC. all that looks cosmeticly wrong with it is a broken window on the engineer's side
Last edited by daylight4449 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #695152  by DutchRailnut

What makes you state that its abandoned, I bet you it has an owner, depite being in in decrepid condition.
 #695167  by atsf sp

Were there no freight cars in because i have been there times and never saw it. But I guess there were freight cars when I was there. What number is it?
 #695295  by GP40MC1118

The 6152 was sold in 1990 to Classic Rail Cars, Inc. and languished in various locations
as far south as Brunswick, Md. until it ended up back in New England in April 1993.
I don't have documentation, but its looks like the MCER acquired it in 4/93. Title passed
to the state of Massachusetts and the RDC was going to be part of its Operation Lifesaver
Program. This project was abandoned in 1999.

Rumor was the 6152 was then donated to the CT Eastern RR Museum in Willimantic, but
this apparently was not true. The car has been shifted around the Palmer area ever
since. Ownership is unclear.

Dave
 #697936  by daylight4449

atsf sp wrote:Were there no freight cars in because i have been there times and never saw it. But I guess there were freight cars when I was there. What number is it?
looks like an old central vermont, perhaps canadian national
 #697973  by DutchRailnut

MBTA 6152 is ex Boston & Maine #6152 built in august of 1956 as RDC-1 it was retired november 1989.
 #701915  by daylight4449

atsf sp wrote:Were there no freight cars in because i have been there times and never saw it. But I guess there were freight cars when I was there. What number is it?
well sp, it's in the bushes basically, in kind of a ditch. it's really hard to notice. if by ay chance you know bob, the gentleman who owns tuckers hobbies, he'll acknowledge it's exsistance
 #702282  by atsf sp

daylight4449 wrote:
well sp, it's in the bushes basically, in kind of a ditch. it's really hard to notice. if by ay chance you know bob, the gentleman who owns tuckers hobbies, he'll acknowledge it's exsistance
I'm not doubting its existence, I just never saw it. Trying to figure out for myself where it is. The first time I went to Palmer I did not go down the road. Te second time I went only to the engines and almost froze my hands off. I make a point of looking for it next time I go to Palmer.
 #766442  by atsf sp

It actually did not have much snow on it.