Railroad Forums 

• abandon MBTA RDC-1

• Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
 #844879  by daylight4449

alright, last i was there, the RDC wasn't on it's siding, and this goes back about two weeks
so she's somewhere in palmer then
 #902056  by BigLou80

I know who owns these and when I figure out the name of the organization I will post it here. The plan is to use them as a shell for teaching/museum purposes
 #902112  by daylight4449

Really? Just a shell. Why not send them to the Conway Scenic. They could always use a second RDC.
 #902201  by Watchman318

daylight4449 wrote:Why not send them to the Conway Scenic. They could always use a second RDC.
Ditto. And maybe someday, it (they?) could still be used for Operation Lifesaver presentations, just in a different state than originally planned. ;-)
 #926299  by daylight4449

GP40MC1118 wrote:The 6152 was sold in 1990 to Classic Rail Cars, Inc. and languished in various locations
as far south as Brunswick, Md. until it ended up back in New England in April 1993.
I don't have documentation, but its looks like the MCER acquired it in 4/93. Title passed
to the state of Massachusetts and the RDC was going to be part of its Operation Lifesaver
Program. This project was abandoned in 1999.

Rumor was the 6152 was then donated to the CT Eastern RR Museum in Willimantic, but
this apparently was not true. The car has been shifted around the Palmer area ever
since. Ownership is unclear.

Dave
Well, after some time, there has been a development! Our favorite RDC (I think destroyed for an RDC equals rough around the edges for any other passenger car) is going to be restored cosmetically by the new Seven Railroads chapter of the NRHS. I guess the previous owner was Operation Lifesaver, but Seven Railroads may have made a deal wit Lifesaver to clean her up a bit. I'm not sure. On the facebook page that is being used until they establish a stand-alone site, Seven Railroads has pictures of the interior. Passenger compartment is empty, but all the operational controls are still in place. Put in new seats and do some paint work, and the interior is good for display. As for operational, I guess the engines were disabled (or at least one was disabled in MBTA service)
 #927949  by daylight4449

GP40MC1118 wrote:So are they going to display it somewhere?

D
As far as I know, it's going to be in Palmer on display and while the Seven Railroads group works on it.
 #931099  by daylight4449

canobiecrazy wrote:I saw two of these in the North Station yard in late April. They were covered in graffiti.
Those have been there for years. While the inside is trashed, I've adopted a translation for RDC to standard equipment:
Terrible RDC=destroyed coache
Bad RDC=trashed coach
great RDC= coach
Perfect RDC=First class