Railroad Forums 

• DMU Ident help....

• Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
 #656355  by tausugRAIL

Hi, all . . I'm new here with a request for help in the identification of the DMU (?) in Philippine National Railway
service pictured below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/intervene/ ... 0/sizes/l/

I'd appreciate information on the wheels/truck arrangement and specification (dimensions) for planned HO scale scratch-build project... I've vague information that this used to be a set of Japanese rail cars... Many thanks... Cheers....
 #669257  by kaitoku

The railcar is the CMC-20 type. Apparently these were built in the early 1970's by Tokyu Railcar of Japan. as part of an ODA (overseas development assistance) program. Information is very sketchy about this type, but it's similar to other early types built by Tokyu Railcar for other Asian countries such as Taiwan or Thailand- these countries, unlike the Philippines, have received newer designs distinguished by their stainless steel carbodies. I know of no available plans of this type in Japan, as it is an export model (NOT second-hand- this appears to be a common misconception). Assuming established Japanese DMU design practice, it is powered by an underfloor 6 or 8 cylinder inline diesel engine of 150 to 300hp class (close to upper figure if turbocharged) with a hydraulic transmission. As far as dimensions are concerned, your best bet would be to actually measure one the units yourself, as you appear to be in the Philippines, as well as take pictures of fittings, bogies, etc. to aid your model-making.

You may also find information by making inquiries at this site:

http://anz.rihspi.org/

Good luck!
 #675221  by tausugRAIL

kaitoku wrote:The railcar is the CMC-20 type. Apparently these were built in the early 1970's by Tokyu Railcar of Japan. as part of an ODA (overseas development assistance) program. Information is very sketchy about this type, but it's similar to other early types built by Tokyu Railcar for other Asian countries such as Taiwan or Thailand- these countries, unlike the Philippines, have received newer designs distinguished by their stainless steel carbodies. I know of no available plans of this type in Japan, as it is an export model (NOT second-hand- this appears to be a common misconception). Assuming established Japanese DMU design practice, it is powered by an underfloor 6 or 8 cylinder inline diesel engine of 150 to 300hp class (close to upper figure if turbocharged) with a hydraulic transmission. As far as dimensions are concerned, your best bet would be to actually measure one the units yourself, as you appear to be in the Philippines, as well as take pictures of fittings, bogies, etc. to aid your model-making.

You may also find information by making inquiries at this site:

http://anz.rihspi.org/

Good luck!
Thanks for the brief description and small clarification on the DMU in question... Although I'm from the Philippines, yet it's unfortunate that my Island of Mindanao is some 1.5 hours by air (travel) from the Island of Luzon where the PNR runs and headquartered. . . . I'll take your advice and make inquiry on the website you mentioned... Thanks, again..
 #840164  by pnr

sir good day, i am from the philippines, and unfortunately, even us don't have much info about the exact builder from japan and the model name(except for the codes used by the pnr like CMC for "commuter motor car" and CTC for "commuter trailer car", one set consists of CMC+CTC+CMC, all are retired during the late 90's,

we have a new type of dmu however, made by hyundai rotem of korea, i just don't know if a model exists but i made a paper model..