Railroad Forums 

• Seeking info on first generation Pennsy interurban

• Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
 #37834  by Keystone

Hoping someone can give me some information as to manufacturer, specs, and possibly a web address for a picture for an O-scale model I recently aquired. The description on the box simply states Pennsylvania Interurban. It looks like an old heavyweight pullman passinger car with a single pantograph and portholes to the left and right sides at the front and rear of the car. There is a roof headlight mounted front center. I have a PRR fallen flags video which refers to a unit very similar looking to the model as an MP-54, however this may be a PRR designation much like the an Alco RS-3 was designated as PRR's AS-16.

Thanks,
Rich

#37997  by thirdrail

I believe the model was made by K-Line. It has changed the end windows and sold the car, usually with a non-powered trailer, lettered for Lackawanna, PRR, and Pacific Electric. With the porthole windows it is close to a PRR MP54 (Motorized Passenger - 54 feet between bulkheads). These cars were designed and built by the Pennsylvania at Altoona, PA. :wink:
 #38730  by Keystone

Thanks Thirdrail. Another Pennsy fan I see. You are right, it is the K-line Pennsy set. After a trip to the Altoona RR Museum/Curve this past weekend, I learned about the Altoona Shop works. The model is close to scale of a 72' Madison, not sure if there was such thing as a MP72? I'll be going back to Altoona soon, this time without my wife!

Rich