Railroad Forums 

• NYC RDC3 M497

• Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
 #398792  by tocfan

Have any of you ever modeled this when is was streamlined with the jets. I have a proto 1000 that I am contemplating doing .

Mike Fleming
 #876483  by andre

i know that i am reviving a very old topic here, but i am also working on a similar project

I started the project recently, but it is stalled at the moment...

I am searching for a hobby shop that has experience with model trains and model airplanes, i found one in my area but it is difficult to find the correct engine type in the proper scale, also another issue is producing the proper "nose" on the unit, i played around with a thin sheet of styrene plastic but i am not yet satisfied with the turnout so iv been using a trial and error methood and eyeballing according pictures of the unit.
 #916516  by kjd73170

Kato in N scale has released the M-497 jet propelled RDC with DCC and Sound. There was also an article in either RMC or n scale magazine in making the nose and jet conversions for an RDC to create a replica of the M-497.
 #927747  by EDM5970

Is there any video available online of the real M-497? Not a model- Just curious, saw video of a jet powered school bus drag racing the other day-
 #927922  by EDM5970

Dutch, thanks for that link, too bad its so short-
 #933734  by Otto Vondrak

Here is the authoratative, factual story about the development, construction, and operation of New York Central's 1966 high-speed rail experiment.

http://stores.lulu.com/m497

-otto-
 #1055899  by bigK

I jus saw that short video clip of the M497 in Spanish - but there was another longer video from an official NYC RR color video tape - this of it self is of interest as color TV was kind of new then - some great stuff like the engineer/motorman/pilot wearing a fighter jet pilot's helmet - the instrumentation is interesting,this is real NASA rocket test stuff

there is no audio and the video is kind of 'jiggy' but hey this is a digital transfer of a 46 year old analog tape

I don't know if the suspension on that RDC was modified - but shows just how well they built things in the 1950's 183 MPH (this is the figure I had read in an article)
for a commuter RDC that normaly has a top speed of 90 MPH?

the test as per the text narrative was done on bolted rail? this latter is interesting what would the M497 be able to do with today's welded ribbon rail and concrete ties?

the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pB-PGnF ... re=related