Railroad Forums 

• Oregon RDC and DMU news

• Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
 #183102  by wigwagfan

Just thought I'd pass on a few things to this forum from Oregon:

TriMet last week signed a contract with Colorado Railcar for a total of five cars - three powered DMUs and two trailer cars. I believe from all that I've heard that the cars will be single-level, but no word on the actual specifications. I'm praying that the wrap-around windows will NOT be on the cars. Operations are expected to begin in 2007 or 2008 on a 15 mile run southwest of Portland, between Beaverton and Wilsonville - serving Tigard and Tualatin, as well as the Washington Square shopping mall (on the Tigard/Beaverton city boundary) for a total of five stations. This line will not connect with Amtrak at Portland Union Station, but will connect with TriMet's existing light rail system (MAX) at Beaverton (which comes within a few blocks of Union Station, and directly serves Portland International Airport).

Right now, there are a total of SEVEN Budd RDCs in Oregon, which from a historical perspective means there are more RDCs today than ever before. Here's a rundown of what they are and what they're doing:

ODOT: Two RDC-1s and one RDC-3, all of BC Rail heritage. The Lewis & Clark Excursion Train has finished its three year run, and the cars are for sale. At least one group out of Astoria is trying to restart the train, and may buy the cars but nothing official and no further information to elaborate. The RDCs in this service have had numerous mechanical problems; often times only two or three of the six engines were functioning on a trip, and at least once the Portland & Western Railroad had to provide a freight locomotive (GP39-2, former Santa Fe) to pull the train. Since the route is owned by the P&W, it may be likely that any future excursion trains may use regular passenger cars pulled by a locomotive... Currently the three RDCs are stored in Linnton (North Portland).

In addition, a local concern trying to start a railroad museum has expressed interest in the RDC-3 as it was the only RDC owned by the Great Northern Railroad; however it has been substantially modified by later owners (including a food service galley, completely new seats, and the cab controls appear to have been removed making it sort of a RDC-9 like car).

Port of Tillamook bay RR: Two RDC-1s, CNJ heritage. One car is running but this year has been typically pulled behind a Heisler steam locomotive that began operations out of Garibaldi. The second RDC has been kept in storage at the Tillamook Industrial Park (former U.S. Navy blimp base) in Tillamook, non-operating.

Pacific Northwest Chapter of the NRHS: Two RDC-9s, B&M heritage. Both cars are used on sporadic excursion trains, I do not believe either has operated this year. The engines and/or driveshafts have been removed from both cars. These cars have been stored in various places around Portland.

#183521  by matthewsaggie

Why don't you like the wrap-around windows? I thought they were pretty cool when I saw the car in Charlotte two years ago, but I guess on a commuter run they would be wasted. Its probably cheaper to build the car without them, too.

#184933  by wigwagfan

matthewsaggie wrote:Why don't you like the wrap-around windows? I thought they were pretty cool when I saw the car in Charlotte two years ago, but I guess on a commuter run they would be wasted. Its probably cheaper to build the car without them, too.
On a "tourist" orientated car they are fine (i.e. Amtrak Superliner), Alaska's single-level "domes".

On a commuter car, they add cost, and use space that would normally be used for overhead storage racks. I have been in one month old busses that have already had their windows etched by vandals, the seats ripped, the interior walls graffitied - and Portland is typically pretty good about cleaning and maintaining its busses. I'd hate to see the cost of replacing those special-order wrap-around windows due to vandalism.

Besides, on the proposed Commuter Rail route in Portland (actually Washington County), there is little in the way of scenery to look at; the northern five miles of the route is smack between an industrial area and a freeway; the central stretch is lined by woodlands and industrial areas; the southern area features the backyards of homes, light industrial areas, shopping centers, and gravel quarries.