Railroad Forums 

Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1258445  by NorthPennLimited

What's the confirmed top speed record for a Budd EMU? I've heard Penn Central got a modified Budd consist up to 190mph on the NEC. any truth to that rumor?
 #1258488  by R3 Passenger

In the late 60's, the PRR ran the Budd-built Metroliner prototypes up to 165 MPH on the straight track between New Brunswick and Trenton.

The current U.S. Rail Speed record of 183.68 mph was achieved in 1966 by a modified Budd Car owned by New York Central known as the M-497 Black Beetle. It was a Budd RDC with jet engines strapped to its roof. That test I think occurred somewhere in Ohio.
 #1258683  by 25Hz

Imagine the noise?
 #1258996  by DutchRailnut

25Hz should by now know what a EMU is, its not what is in his picture, just sayin..
 #1259389  by electricron

DutchRailnut wrote:25Hz should by now know what a EMU is, its not what is in his picture, just sayin..
While it is true the original poster asked a question about Budd EMUs, the op titled the thread the "fastest Budd car". The forum in question is "Self Propelled Railcars"
The modified DMU (RDC) at 183+ mph is almost 20 mph faster than Metroliners (EMU) at 165 mph and it is definitely a self propelled Budd car. I'm not aware if the non self propelled Budd built Metroliners rumor of 190 mph is true or not.
 #1259391  by Desertdweller

If NYC was really thinkin', they would have made provision for those jet engines to be turned 180 degrees so it would go just as fast on the return trip.

Les
 #1259443  by BobLI

The people in the RDC jet car had to have nerves of steel. It looks like that car is running on jointed rail. I'm sure that track wasnt rated at over 80 MPH. WHEW!!! Crazy!
 #1259937  by R3 Passenger

If you want more information on the M-497, look for the book titled "Flight of the M-497." It is co-written by the actual operator of the car, Don Wetzel, and is quite an interesting read.
BobLI wrote:The people in the RDC jet car had to have nerves of steel. It looks like that car is running on jointed rail. I'm sure that track wasnt rated at over 80 MPH. WHEW!!! Crazy!
According to the book, Mr. Wetzel was one of the last engineers to operate a steam train on the Central, and was selected because he was also an aircraft pilot who was familiar with jet engines. The run did occur on jointed rail.
electricron wrote: While it is true the original poster asked a question about Budd EMUs, the op titled the thread the "fastest Budd car". The forum in question is "Self Propelled Railcars"
The modified DMU (RDC) at 183+ mph is almost 20 mph faster than Metroliners (EMU) at 165 mph and it is definitely a self propelled Budd car. I'm not aware if the non self propelled Budd built Metroliners rumor of 190 mph is true or not.
I went and read the book again, and Mr. Wetzel claimed that the M-497 actually did reach 190 mph, but was only recorded at 183 mph since it was deceleating through the speed points.

Seriously, read the book. I have an electronic copy.
 #1264200  by Matt Johnson

chrisf wrote:I searched Google for "Silverliner speed test" and found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7mEoZypX8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One of these cars is sitting in an industrial park near where I did my MBA summer internship in Newport News, VA:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1270142  by 4400Washboard

Matt Johnson wrote:
chrisf wrote:I searched Google for "Silverliner speed test" and found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7mEoZypX8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One of these cars is sitting in an industrial park near where I did my MBA summer internship in Newport News, VA:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is that a Silverliner II?
 #1636888  by AllenPHazen

One shot in the video linked by Chrisf shows a man looking at a roll of paper coming out of an oscillograph(?), and the shot of the train arriving at a platform shows the Department of Transportation triskelion logo. So this four-car set is probably the track geometry set, which was used for a variety of studies.
--
I have a vague recollection (I'm old enough that lots of my recollections are vague these days!) of reading somewhere that, before the Metroliners were built, a variety of tests were run using (regeared?) Silverliners. With less powerful motors, even a regard Silverliner wouldn't have the high-speed potential (particularly, acceleration at high speeds) of a Metroliner, but some of these tests might have been impressively fast.
 #1636908  by scratchyX1

R3 Passenger wrote: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:24 am In the late 60's, the PRR ran the Budd-built Metroliner prototypes up to 165 MPH on the straight track between New Brunswick and Trenton.

The current U.S. Rail Speed record of 183.68 mph was achieved in 1966 by a modified Budd Car owned by New York Central known as the M-497 Black Beetle. It was a Budd RDC with jet engines strapped to its roof. That test I think occurred somewhere in Ohio.
It was on the NYC in ohio. And it left the ground at some grade crossings.
Amusingly, the russians built their own jet car, in competition.
Both looked like a spaceship from battle beyond the stars.
 #1636914  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I remembered that there was a past topic about the 1966 M-497 RDC speed tests in the
New York Central forum - Fallen Flags section:
whatever-happened-to-the-jet-powered-rd ... t4448.html
3 pages - 38 posts - July 14, 2004 to January 7, 2005
Read the very interesting posts from Don Wetzel - who designed and ran the 1966 test runs...
183.6 MPH was the record set on July 23, 1966 near Bryan, Ohio (west of Toledo)...
In addition the July 2016 issue of Railfan and Railroad featured "The M-497 Story"

With this historical topic I will mention that Railroad.Net (this incarnation) is approaching
its 20th Anniversary - Thursday-Friday March 11-12, 2004 is when Forum archives begin...
A discussion about the 20 year history of Railroad.Net should be quite interesting...

I have been a RR.Net member almost 19 years (join date February 7, 2005) and it would be
most interesting to read recollections from those that have been here since Day One in 2004
- and before in the past site(s)...An example of how successful that this site has been over the
past 20 years is reaching 1.5 million posts sometime this year...

One of the best aspects of Railroad.Net is the Forum Archives - which are a priceless wealth of
information over these past 20 years - topics such as the M-497 testing is a perfect example...
MACTRAXX
 #1637441  by R36 Combine Coach

Metroliners 800 and 802 reportedly hit 175 on 12/17/67 between Trenton and New Brunswick.