Railroad Forums 

Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#132325  by Engineer James

Were the RDC's (some of them) painted into the front warbonnet Colors?? And what types did the SF run?? RDC1, RDC2, or RDC3?? Any picture and roadnumbers would be appreciated! :-D :wink:

#140338  by Rich T

Info from "Budd Car The RDC Story"
DC-191 & DC-192 were RDC-1s with a simplified yellow and red cigar band logo across the ends.
After a 1956 roll over they were rebuilt with the non fluted areas painted red and the familiar cigar band logo as seen on the cab units.
One of the cars was rebuilt to a sort of RDC-2 but the door was located where the third window had been.

#148073  by espeefoamer

The Pacific Railroad Society has recently aquired one of the ex ATSF RDC cars. It will require a lot of work before it is ready for any type of operation or display.I believe this is the car with the standard RDC1 configuration.

#183657  by David Hutchinson

I saw one of these at the Reading's Reading Shops around 1972. I think they rebuilt it for their use or maybe SEPTA's.............

#186103  by Engineer James

Found out this... (Read "Modeling the Railroads of the 1950's) I found out that the only 2 they ever owned creashed after failing to slow for a sharp curve. 1 stayed an RDC1 while the other was made to a 2 or 3.

#205738  by Engineer James

Really? Interesting. When did SF sell them?

#620546  by JimBoylan

David Hutchinson wrote:I saw one of these at the Reading's Reading Shops around 1972. I think they rebuilt it for their use or maybe SEPTA's
It was at the Museum in Noblesville, Ind. 2/25/75 with Waebonnet paint on it's way to where you saw it. The State of Pennsylvania paid some of the money, in anticipation of increased traffic during the Bicentennial.
After rebuilding, one of the 2nd hand cars had the baggage doors filled in, and the interior all coach seating.
 #635890  by jbvb

Originally, Los Angeles - San Diego. After the wreck (entering a wye at a junction way too fast), they ran Albuquerque - El Paso. They may have had other brief assignments mixed in with the two major ones.