Railroad Forums 

• "Jump crossings?"

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#886981  by 3rdrail

Originally, the railroads were concerned with the streetcars overhead, such as if the pole became disconnected, stalling the car momentarily. Ohio Brass and others went to great lengths to get around this problem, usually by means of running an energized metal cage shaped like a half-circle around the overhead, so if the pole became disengaged, it would continue to be energized in the cage. Historically, railroads have been against all crossings, and in some instances, gang fights have broken out between rival electric and steam railway workers where a crossing was being put in place.
 #887285  by ExCon90

That reminds me--the last time I rode the line I couldn't see any protective cage on the wire at the crossing and wondered whether its absence represents an unnecessary safety risk. It takes a while for the operator to walk back and replace the pole on the wire.
 #1487509  by mmi16

Red Arrow Fan wrote:
polybalt wrote:Actually I have seen a photo of an even more radical jump crossing installed only a few years ago where the SEPTA #11 streetcar line crosses the CSX mainline at grade in Darby. I assume it is still in service. The CSX rails are continuous and untouched. There are no frogs. The streetcar rails actually stop before touching the railroad rails and once again the streetcar wheels "jump" over the railroad rails. I can't believe it works, but obviously it does.
I just drove over that crossing 3 days ago. In fact, I was right behind a trolley. It came to a full stop, bumped over the CSX rails, and proceeded on its way. The trolley flanges have worn a groove into the CSX railheads.

There were some pictures posted of this crossing somewhere on these forums a ew months back, but I couldn't find them today.
http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=513242&p=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1614294  by jbvb

Seashore Trolley Museum has a couple of "jump frogs" in yard track. They behave best when everything using them has the same wheel tread width. This is not the case at Seashore.