Railroad Forums 

• Old Spaghetti Factory trolley bodies

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#671823  by atsf sp

Does anyone know what cars were at the Louisville and Boston Spaghetti factories? Were these ones replicas or real trolleys?
 #674150  by Otto Vondrak

There was a body from the North Texas Traction at the Spaghetti Factory in Rochester, NY. It's been saved and moved to the New York Museum of Transportation.

http://www.nymtmuseum.org/NYMTPict1.php ... rehouseCar
Northern Texas Traction Company car 409 spent many years inside the former Rochester Spaghetti Warehouse restaurant located in downtown Rochester. Saved in 1996 through the efforts of many Rochesterians and New York Museum of Transportation volunteers after the restaurant closed down, the trolley was moved to the the NYMT in 1996 and then moved inside of the NYMT display barn in 1997. Mainly through the efforts of NYMT member Charlie Robinson, a trolley historian, car 409 was re-opened for public display inside the NYMT on May 15, 1998 .
-otto-
 #675385  by Tadman

The Spaghetti factory in South Bend, IN, had a Lake Shore (CSS predecessor) interurban body. Disposition unknown, but I recall seeing it as a child in the early 1980's.
 #696730  by dinwitty

Tadman wrote:The Spaghetti factory in South Bend, IN, had a Lake Shore (CSS predecessor) interurban body. Disposition unknown, but I recall seeing it as a child in the early 1980's.

I've emailed the Old Spaghetti factory asking if they know about the car, they have a trend of putting streetcar bodies in the restaurant to dine in.

Apparently one was in South Bend but now gone, if they really had that body, perhaps they took it with them.
 #697331  by dinwitty

actually it was the Spaghetti Warehouse, Old Spaghetti factory did the similar concept, email back said they never had a South Bend, it was the Warehouse.

Checking / asking them.
 #698661  by dinwitty

response back, heres all we know...
Lynn,

The trolley car that was in our building was sold at auction when we closed that building. The trolley it’s self was originally from somewhere in Indiana. Due to the size of these items and the hardships of moving them we try to find them locally and refurbish on site. I do not know who purchased that particular trolley and would have no way of finding out that information I’m afraid.

I wish I could have been of more help.

Thank You

Andy Geer

South Regional Manager

Spaghetti Warehouse
 #698710  by dinwitty

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,290249

this thread describes a sister car 77 in Kokomo turned into a diner but was demolished.

This makes the only possibility the Spaghetti Factory car would have been the car 74 formerly Joes diner formerly CLS&SB where the St Joe Club built a model railroad in unless the Factory found another similar car which is highly unlikely.

The CERA books indicates those cars were scrapped but that just isn't the case.

Probably the only way to know about Joe's diner is to check newspaper records for the fire it had, if any of the car was survivable.
 #698872  by dinwitty

now my information about the Spaghetti Factory car is that it might have been a mockup with a wider body than your average car. I will need to know if this car was seen outside or not because probably the mockup was inside the restaurant.
 #1089713  by Milwaukee_F40C

Spaghetti Factory and Spaghetti Warehouse were probably owned by the same restaurant investment group. I went to Spaghetti Warehouse in Naperville, IL a long time ago. There, too, the "trolley" was part of the restaurant's national chain mass-market theme. It might have had something like "Aurora Street Railway" painted on it. I don't remember how accurate or cheesy it was in detailing, but overall it seemed like an oversize replica of a streetcar constructed for the dining purpose. It is probably easiest to construct a streetcar shaped outline and decorate it with sheet metal side panels and stained veneer on the inside.

A couple years ago the Fox River Trolley Museum acquired a car original to the museum line, a St. Louis Car Co. lightweight interurban. The Fox River car has unusual proportions, with a streetcar-like length and height profile, but very wide compared to common streetcars, with huge windows and riding low to the ground on small wheels. In thinking about the "trolley" that was at Spaghetti Warehouse in Naperville, as far as I can remember, the similarity to the Fox River car's profile is peculiar.
 #1313552  by HarryN

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:Spaghetti Factory and Spaghetti Warehouse were probably owned by the same restaurant investment group. I went to Spaghetti Warehouse in Naperville, IL a long time ago. There, too, the "trolley" was part of the restaurant's national chain mass-market theme. It might have had something like "Aurora Street Railway" painted on it. I don't remember how accurate or cheesy it was in detailing, but overall it seemed like an oversize replica of a streetcar constructed for the dining purpose. It is probably easiest to construct a streetcar shaped outline and decorate it with sheet metal side panels and stained veneer on the inside.

A couple years ago the Fox River Trolley Museum acquired a car original to the museum line, a St. Louis Car Co. lightweight interurban. The Fox River car has unusual proportions, with a streetcar-like length and height profile, but very wide compared to common streetcars, with huge windows and riding low to the ground on small wheels. In thinking about the "trolley" that was at Spaghetti Warehouse in Naperville, as far as I can remember, the similarity to the Fox River car's profile is peculiar.
January 21, 2015
This is a late response since I have just joined the Forum. Spaghetti Factory and Spaghetti Warehouse were not under the same ownership. The Factory was started in Portland, if I remember right, and the Warehouse originated in Dallas. Bob Hawk was the Dallas originator and owned a good part of the controlling stock until he sold out to a separate restaurant group located in Dallas. Bob bought loads of antiques and trolley bodies for his restaurants until he had a hard time acquiring them where he needed them: the cost of acquisition and refurbishment became so high, including freight to a new location, he found construction new bodies was cheaper and faster.

I knew Bob as we were both members of the Historic Preservation League Board of Directors. Later, Bob acquired a New Orleans car from a Weatherford, TX museum and was planning on installation in Kansas City. There was a problem in that the car was not really right size for the building. In discussing this with Bob, he said he would like to find a certain series Dallas car which would fit into the new location. I just happened to know a local friend that knew where 2 of those bodies were hidden and Bob made a deal with Ed to swap the New Orleans car, complete with all the hardware, trucks, motors, etc. for 2 Dallas car bodies.

That car body became the first car of McKinney Avenue Trolley in Dallas, TX. but we did not restore it as we sold it back to New Orleans when they were trying to find old Pearly Thomas cars from N.O. for the Riverfront line.

HarryN
 #1346594  by dinwitty

I have to correct some info, car 74 was at the south shore south bend yard and was used by a model railroad club, members had to go to WW2, came back with the trucks gone body placed on cement supports, warped body and layout, they abandoned the car. 74 was moved near the airport as a diner, later a fire took it out.

Spaghetti factory could not have had the car or 77, they found other cars.