Railroad Forums 

• Port Morris interurban terminal in Phillipsburg NJ?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#338180  by BaltOhio

I'm surely not omniscient, but I never heard of this creature, and I should have. What's your source and what other info have you? There were a couple of semi-interurban operations (really rural trolleys) running north from Easton and Nazareth, but both were inland from the west bank of the river, one of which, I think, got up to the Delaware Water Gap. Also, Lehigh Valley Transit had a local line from Easton to Phillipsburg (Alpha), but that's all I ever heard of in that territory.

#338343  by salminkarkku

"Hilton & Due", p 307:-

"NEW JERSEY INTERURBAN COMPANY
The Easton & Washington Traction Co in 1906 opened a standard-gauge electric line from Phillipsburg through Washington to Port Murray [sorry, not Port Morris]. About 13 of the 18 miles were on private ROW. In 1923 the road was purchased by the owners of the Northampton Traction Co and the Bangor & Portland Traction Co. The name was then changed to the "Northampton-Easton and Washington Traction Co". Unsuccessful efforts were made to join the line to the network across the Delaware and to extend it to Lake Hoptacong.
In 1923 the road was sold under foreclosure to the "New Jersey Interurban Co", but it only operated another two years before being abandoned in 1925."

It does not seem to feature much on Google, but the later RM maps at

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/historicalmap ... ndex2.html

show the route.

#338344  by salminkarkku

PS I've just found out that it terminated at the "Soldiers Monument" in Main St, Phillipsburg. Next question -where's that?
 #338390  by Rich T

The soldiers monument is in Lovelle Square where Sitgreaves and South Main Streets join at a diagonal intersection.
This is just east from where the Phillipsburg Historians have their heritage collection.

#347820  by AndyB

Just speculation.

Is it possible that only the private R.O.W. of the Easton and Washington line terminated at the "Soldiers Monument". The line could have connected with the local trolley line to Alpha on Main St.
It would then be able to run all the way into Easton.

#347951  by Rich T

In 1967 the Lehigh Valley Chapter NRHS published a siral bound book "Short Trolley Routes In The Lehigh Valley".
In this book is a photo of an E&W Traction car at the end of track in the middle of the street on the north side of Lovell Square, and to the right a Easton Transit Company's car on the South Main Street route.
In part the text states "controlling interest of electric railways in Phillipsburg and Easton refused operating privleges over trackage to the new company and thereby eliminated an economical entrance into Easton".
In continues to state another rail would have had to be added due to a difference in gauges. This I find curious because the Doylestown & Easton interurban was built to the Pennsylvania broad gauge and couldn't enter Easton proper from the south. This would indicate the city lines were standard gauge as was the LVT that entered Center Square, and the Easton & Washington. Where the Phillipsburg city lines broad gauge?

#348143  by AndyB

Very interesting....

The mysteries that can develop by asking questions and sharing knowledge.