Railroad Forums 

• Interurban terminal in Suffern NY -where?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#332266  by salminkarkku

I've got an argument about where the "North Jersey Rapid Transit" terminated in Suffern NY. I think that it avoided street running, and ended to the south-west of the village center without crossing the state line. This, I think, was because the original scheme was to extend the line further up the valley. My opponent says that that would have been on the wrong side of the Erie tracks from the village, and surely it had better terminal arrangements. Can anybody shed some light on this?

#332328  by BaltOhio

Sorry to say, you lose. The NJRT was east of the Erie from Glen Rock all the way to Suffern, and terminated there still on the east side of the railroad. Photos in E. J. Quinby's NJRT book show cars with what appears to be Suffern's downtown directly behind, though it is difficult to tell if they are still on p/r/w or just at a street crossing.

One of several extensions that the NJRT planned -- and the most improbable of them all -- would have continued north from Suffern on the east side of the Ramapo and crossed the river north of Sterlington (south of Sloatsburg), then continued NW over the Sterling Mountain R. R. (an iron mining RR) to Lake Mine, with new construction from there to Greenwood Lake. The motives apparently were a mixture of land development, mineral rights, and transmission line rights. Mercifully, of course, nothing came of it.
Last edited by BaltOhio on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#332364  by CarterB

The NJRT ran pvt ROW thru Mahwah, NJ but was 'street running' single track up what is now Rte 202 into downtown Suffern to about where Rte 59 cuts off to the East or just below the now jct of Orange Ave and Rte 59 (just to the East of the Erie) There was no 'terminal' as such that I am aware of. Possibly a 'shed' but certainly no station as such.

#332881  by salminkarkku

Thanks! I based my delusion on a Rand-McNally atlas map of 1920, which showed the terminal as I described.

I've had problems with RM maps elsewhere. Don't trust them if you can't find supporting evidence, people!