Railroad Forums 

• Newark's No. 3 Line

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#21625  by bonaire

Thanks to that excellent map (thanks, SPUI), I finally figured out that the streetcar tracks on 1st Street in my old neighborhood are from the No. 3 Line. But I can't find much information about it. Anyone know where this line starts? It seems to stop at Orange Street or at least turn east there. Is it the same line I've seen on Bergen Styreet? Thanks.
 #22773  by russp

Yes, the #3 Bergen route is probably the line you saw in Bergen Street. The west (or north) terminus was at Bergen Street / Orange Street. From there, it went south on Bergen , then east in Clinton, and then on several other streets including South, Pacific, Chestnut, Wilson, some prw, and then on Doremus to a terminal in Port Newark. Trolley buses replaced streetcars on November 1, 1936. See Ed Hamm's book entitled "The Public Service Trolley Lines in New Jersey" for the details of this route. His map of the Port Newark area is incorrect, however.
 #25777  by russp

There appears to be a drafting error in Hamm's book (or at least in my copy) in that a join line is missing in the Port Newark section of the map, and he shows a junction where there was none. I believe the on-line map is correct in so far as route 3 is concerned.