Railroad Forums 

• The Middlesex & Boston Street Railway Company

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#570799  by ephraimephraim

Thank you, Leo! That's a perfect confirmation because it not only tells the whole route, it mentions the very spot where I saw the rails dug up: the B&M crossing on Woburn Street, which is now the Minuteman Bikeway crossing.
 #825875  by aline1969

Nice photo, wish I was there to see that construction. The Lexington & Boston operated the short line from the north side of the B&M tracks on Woburn st to downtown Woburn where the cars meet the Bay State St Ry. The B&M did not want streetcars crossing at grade and the L&B never dug under at this location just off the Lexington Sq. They did dig under by the old car house on Bedford st and in Billlerica off Concord rd. You can still see this today.
 #879360  by aline1969

Car 41 is now on four horses and hopefully will straighten herself out. The Birney truck has been removed and will most likely go to Birney 615 (Portland, ME)
 #879375  by 3rdrail

How is a truck such as on 41 affixed to the car's body, Doug ? Is it as easy as having bolts on four corners ?
 #879397  by aline1969

3rdrail wrote:How is a truck such as on 41 affixed to the car's body, Doug ? Is it as easy as having bolts on four corners ?
The old Birney truck (not correct for a 1901 built car) was attached by the museum back in the 70's. It was attached by using four large pieces of wood bolted at the four corners and on the side to the truck, but it was not attached to the actual body of the car, just resting on these pieces of wood, so that no metal from the truck was touching the wood body of 41.
 #879406  by 3rdrail

Thanks, but I'm asking how a truck on a single-truck car is generally affixed.
 #879417  by aline1969

3rdrail wrote:Thanks, but I'm asking how a truck on a single-truck car is generally affixed.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 29,r:3,s:0

Its a 21e truck for 41 and this view shows that the entire body lays on the truck with the angle rods going up to the platforms for support.

This link shows a 21e truck without a car on it.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 29,r:0,s:0
 #879428  by 3rdrail

Interesting pic of the truck. I'm trying to figure how it gets connected though. I'm assuming that the body of the car gets tied in to the truck on those longitudinal side/upper truck frame bars, but I'm trying to figure out how. Are wooden bars spread accross the truck horizontally to which the truck is attached, and then the body gets attached to the bars/truck (or vice-versa) or does the truck go right on to the bottom wooden framework of the car ? In either case, say on the 41, where would the attachments be ?
 #879438  by aline1969

The truck is attached from those two side metal sills. Single truck cars had no KING PIN like double truck cars had. Another connection would be to the platforms from those angle bars. All bolted into the wooden body. A 1901 car such as 41 was about 99.8 % wood, very little metal used on the actual body of the car.
 #879449  by 3rdrail

Thank you.
 #1345930  by jboutiet

I saw this image on Boston.com today:

The caption says "the specific location is unknown". Based on the signage I'm guessing Bedford, on the Middlesex (Lexington?) & Boston Street Railway. Does that make sense?
 #1346072  by Gerry6309

Leo Sullivan asked me to post this.

The photo is taken at Arlington Heights on the South Side of Massachusetts Av. The further building is the Elevated's South Car House, while the closer one is the Lexington and Boston's waiting room, probably brand new in the picture.

Here is another photo, taken in 1917, showing the Elevated's building and a corner of the waiting room

[attachment=0]New Car House May 31 1917 -.jpg[/attachment}