Railroad Forums 

• Hartford, Connecticut, routes

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#127895  by bellstbarn

Sunday, I saw a Connecticut Transit route Z bus on its route from Hartford to Manchester. Would anyone know a link with information about the streetcar routes originating in Hartford? I suspect bus Z was trolley Z. Dad was good enough to bring me around the New Haven routes circa 1946, but the Hartford lines were bus by then.
Thanks. Joe McMahon
 #128853  by Leo Sullivan

I'm not up to date on the exact routing of the present Hartford bus lines so, will describe the trolley routes to Manchester. From Main St. E. Hartford into Burnside Ave. to Manchester center, then one line straight south to
S. Manchester. another line went east to Manchester Green and yet another north to Manchester Depot. Then too, there was a line branching off to the north before the S. manchester railway and, it went to Rockville and eventually to Stafford springs. That line hoped to reach a connection to Worcester but thing didn't go well. If that isn't enough, The New Haven RR was electrified from a point off Burnside Ave, in E, Hartford (Sta. 220) via Manchester Depot to Rockville and Melrose. that line was used by through Connecticut Co. cars and in part by the New Haven's own trolleys. That section of Connecticut, considering how little population there was at the time, seems to have had an amazing amount of transportation.
LS