Railroad Forums 

• Remnant in Claremont, NH?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#127579  by Pete

I was driving out NH 103 west of Claremont the other day, the part around where it goes under the big elevated viaduct before you head into VT, and there seemed to be intermittent sections of abandoned rail on the right side, butting up agains and following the path of the road. Is this trolley track? It seemed like an impractical layout for a full railroad -- curvy, cramped r-o-w, etc., but I could see an interurban or something running there.

#128854  by Leo Sullivan

I've seen that too and went home and looked it up in the little history of the Claremont Railway. I cant find the book right now but remember that it was a trolley line and had passenger service at one time. I think it continued as a trolley freight line into the 50s but was abandoned after the line dieselised. sam Pinsley bought the line then and incorporated it into his Claremont and Concord RR. Since he was running it all as one company, trolley freight was an unnecessary complication so all became diesel with a 44 tonner for the tight trolley curves.

#157102  by MR77100

I believe the Claremont & Concord still exists with a few GE centercabs. Does anyone know how much of the former trolley track they operate?

#160243  by wolfmom69

None of the former trolley track. Seems like much of the Claremonts work is in Westboro,N.H. although road salt arrives at Claremont Jct. for unloading on the former B&M tracks by the site of the former B&M Claremont Depot(not Claremont Jct. depot).

I wish I could have seen both the C&C and the Springfield(Vt.) Terminal when they were operating with electrics,or early in the 44 tonner eras on both,in the late 50's.

Bud

#181424  by JimBoylan

Pete wrote:I was driving out NH 103 west of Claremont
That stretch was still being used to serve a lumber yard in magazine areticles about 1970. Some of the trolley freight sidings in Claremont were still active in 1991. There were a few Diesel fan trips with a rr gondola car full of hay run by Mystic Valley?
 #201750  by steve coraggio

Hello all
reading your messages about the Claremont & Concord. In 2005 Tony Koester modeled a portion of this railroad in A large Scale, believe S or G.
Articvle was in Model Railroader Magazine. ALso either Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman had some article and pictures of the Claremont & Concord. Their address are on the internet. Some intersting reading Steve Coraggio [email protected]