Railroad Forums 

• PSCT Springfield Ave. line (Irvington)

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#97119  by orangeline

I grew up in Irvington, NJ and in the early and mid-1960's my parents sometimes took me to Olympic Park for a day of fun. I recall seeing trolley tracks embedded in the concrete drive at the entrance on Chancellor Ave at 43rd St. I assume that at one time the #25 Springfield Ave trolley stopped there to discharge park-goers and pick up fares for the return ride to Newark. I'm curious whether the #25 trolley line was ever extended to Maplewood Loop. The #25 bus that replaced the trolleys alternated between 43rd St and Maplewood Loop as the final destination on runs from downtown Newark. The "Loop" part of Maplewood Loop suggests trolleys turned around there. Anyone know the answer?
 #97579  by russp

Yes, the car line started service to the Maplewood "loop" in the early 1900s. The "loop" was really a wye on the south side of Springfield Ave.

The branch on 43rd Street, however, ended at a true loop.