• Old Orchard Beach loop track?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by roberttosh

Looking at Google Earth, there is what appears to be some type of old loop track ROW just north of Walnut St and east of Portland Ave in OOB. It's half in the marsh and half in a more wooded area and it looks like it may have tied in with the B&M mainline. Am I seeing things or was this some old trackage used to turn trains around way back when?

p.s. I'd post a link to the map if I knew how to...
  by The EGE

Not a RR track, and never was. Looks like maybe an auto track in this 1916 topo, and you can see the much smaller loop end short of the RR tracks on Bing maps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by roberttosh

Thanks guys, that is exactly the spot I was talking about. I know there were some branch lines that ran up and down the beach so was thinking that maybe that was part of it.
  by frrc

Probably a horse racing track, considering Orchard Beach's reputation as an amusement park stop.
  by markhb

That is the fabled Old Orchard Beach "kite track" (note the shape), and it was indeed a harness racing course. Disclaimer: it was well before my time :)
  by BostonUrbEx

I find the figure-eight-ish shape to be a rather disturbing track choice for a race, especially with animals running at a full out sprint. :P
  by markhb

They wouldn't have been running at a sprint. This was a harness track, similar to Scarborough Downs, Plainridge, or the former Foxboro Raceway, featuring standardbred horses pulling drivers in sulkies (little two-wheeled carriages), and they have to maintain a specified gait (pace or trot). It wasn't thoroughbred/flat racing with jockeys riding astride like the Kentucky Derby. From this book which is apparently out of copyright:
Another shaped track is in the form of a kite. This track was first brought before the public in 1887 by William B. Fasig, secretary of the Cleveland Driving Park Company, an acknowledged authority on the subject. A kite track, as its name indicate,s consists of two stretches of one third of a mile each with a connecting curve of one third of a mile. The starting and finishing point is at the apex of the kite where the two stretches meet. At this point are the judges and the grand stands. The advantage of this track is that the horses have only to go round one curv,e instead of two, as on the elliptical track, and are therefore able to trot a mile in about two seconds faster time. No tracks of this pattern were built till 1890 and the majority of the champion records made in 1891 were made on the kite shaped tracks at Stockton Cal. and Independence La.
I saw another diagram somewhere where the starting gate (I assume a standing-start) was at the start of one leg of the big loop, and the finish line was similarly positioned at the base of the other leg of the loop. The upshot is that the small loop was essentially just a slowing-down area, and the racers weren't expected to navigate the crossover during the race itself.

And that's about as far off-topic as I think this thread can get :)
  by rrr

There is old wooden pile-ons right over Goosefare brook in ocean park between the West Grand bridge and the ocean.--I heard this was a railroad bridge at one point-is this true?
-Russ
  by The EGE

rrr wrote:There is old wooden pile-ons right over Goosefare brook in ocean park between the West Grand bridge and the ocean.--I heard this was a railroad bridge at one point-is this true?
-Russ
Yep. Orchard Beach Railroad, dating to 1876. Bought by the B&M almost immediately. The "Dummy" operated from Old Orchard Beach to Camp Ellis on the Saco, seven stops along the way. Ended service in 1923.

Image of the trestle from a book scanned by Google.

1891 topo map

Modern view
  by rrr

starting on Seaside ave (Rt 9) in Saco, (after outlook ave--coming from OOB) there is a trail that appears to be a railroad bed.
I went in and it goes pretty far.--I think ending at Atlantic way. Is this a part of an old B&M line?
-russ
  by The EGE

Nada on historic aerials, and no mentions of a branch. Safe to say this is just a road.
  by rrr

was Old salt road a rail line.--It crosses the tracks and continues in a strait line until West Grand Ave.
-russ
  by The EGE

Nope, not that I can find.
  by rrr

this may be a little off topic--The old train station in old orchard beach was located across from Macdonalds garage. I cant find any remains of a rail corridor or station. Does any one have something on this.
-russ