• Pre Employment Physical

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by brownsfan2010

Hello all, I have a few questions, I had my interview last Tuesday, received a call this Monday for the job offer, Went today (Wed) for my physical and drug testing. Im worried a little bit about my physical, my sugar was normal, my bp was a little high (im thinking it was from being nervous for the physical) it was 167/120 my vision was perfect and i had some protein in my urine, I guess im unsure what CSX requirements are for the physical. If anyone can shed some light that would be greatly appreciated. Also what is the turn around time to get results or anything from HR after they get the info from the Dr office. Will I get a phone call or an email? During the interview i was advised that i would go to the REDI Center in Jan, Feb or March 2011. Has there been any confirmed classes for these upcoming months? Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know what the paydates are in Willard Ohio ? Weekly/ Biweekly?
  by charlie6017

Welcome,

Please use our employment forum regarding employment informations. This thread will be forwarded to that forum.......good luck!

Charlie
  by slchub

Yikes! 167/120 is HIGH. I doubt very seriously it was brought on by the "white coat" syndrome. And the protein in the urine is also another indicator that you do indeed have high bp (and/or another issue with the endocrine/kidney system). I'm not a doc/nurse (the wife is though), but I would go in and see your PCP and ask about the bp and getting on some meds to control it (assuming weight management is not an issue, bmi <25). I suffered through hypertension but was able to control it through weight loss. It is no joke.

I would wait and see what happens with the results and if it is an issue, ask the carrier if they would consider hiring you if you follow through on a program outlined by your PCP to control the issues at hand. If not, get it under control anyway and then re-apply in the future.

I wish you the best of luck. Please don't disregard the bp as being a mute issue. It is serious and needs to be addressed. If you don't feel like going to your PCP, goto the supermarket/pharmacy and use the free bp check machine to track your bp over a few days/weeks. If it is still high, see a doc ASAP.
  by lost in kansas

Regarding physicals, how often are they administered once one is hired. I assume vitals and vision/hearing would want to be monitored on a somewhat regular basis by the company.
  by jz441

Freight engineers get vision and hearing checked every 3 years. Not sure about conductors.
  by slchub

lost in kansas wrote:Regarding physicals, how often are they administered once one is hired. I assume vitals and vision/hearing would want to be monitored on a somewhat regular basis by the company.
Amtrak engineers have a physical annually, including time in the "box" having your hearing tested and vision as well.
  by Ironman

lost in kansas wrote:Regarding physicals, how often are they administered once one is hired. I assume vitals and vision/hearing would want to be monitored on a somewhat regular basis by the company.
Conductors are not given physicals on a regular basis, unless they are RCO certified, then it's every two years. This will most likely change soon, as conductors will soon be be required to be certified, even if they are not RCO's.
  by COEN77

jz441 wrote:Freight engineers get vision and hearing checked every 3 years. Not sure about conductors.
Soon it'll be the same for conductors. By Jan 1 2012 all conductors will be licensed under the 2008 FRA Safety Regulations. Then it'll be every 3 years. I read it on the UTU website news.
  by StanTheMan

I just had my physical on Friday the 3rd of Dec and the strength test on the following morning. Just to ease your fears about the physical I have diabetes and high blood pressure both are controlled with medication. I asked the Dr. that gave me the physical if that would be a show stopper and he said no. As a matter of fact he was going to give me a recommendation that i work. There is a class starting Jan 17 that I will be going to and they mentioned that there is one late Feb.
  by JDM864

StanTheMan wrote:I just had my physical on Friday the 3rd of Dec and the strength test on the following morning. Just to ease your fears about the physical I have diabetes and high blood pressure both are controlled with medication. I asked the Dr. that gave me the physical if that would be a show stopper and he said no. As a matter of fact he was going to give me a recommendation that i work. There is a class starting Jan 17 that I will be going to and they mentioned that there is one late Feb.
Where did you get hired out of?
  by StanTheMan

Columbus, Oh
  by brownsfan2010

Willard, Ohio
  by slchub

brownsfan2010 wrote:Willard, Ohio
So is that a "yes" to being hired?
  by brownsfan2010

I got the employment offer for Willard Oh, Just waiting now to hear about the physical and strength test results and background check. I have no felons, ect. So if i get a final call or a date for the REDI center, it will be for Willard. I had the physical/drug test last Tuesday and the strength test on Saturday.
  by lost in kansas

COEN77 wrote:
jz441 wrote:Freight engineers get vision and hearing checked every 3 years. Not sure about conductors.
Soon it'll be the same for conductors. By Jan 1 2012 all conductors will be licensed under the 2008 FRA Safety Regulations. Then it'll be every 3 years. I read it on the UTU website news.

What is the process if your hearing or vision decline between one physical exam and the next. Often with age these faculties are the first to decline!