• Chessie hoppers for repaint?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by consist

Anyone know if CSX is repainting all of the Chessie Cat scheme grain hoppers, and if so at what shops? I have recently seen 3-bay grainers, all CSXT marks, number series 254xxx-255xxx, some with the original cat scheme and others a boring almond. The almond paint jobs are clearly much newer. I was curious if the whole fleet is slated for this treatment, or if they merely haul in the worst rustbuckets for repaint when convenient.
I hate to see the Chessie cat heading for extinction.
  by John_Perkowski

General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment Forum Moderator's Note:

This will have a better chance of being answered in the CSXT Forum, so, off it goes. A shadow topic cross-reference will stay in the General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment forum.
  by lvrr325

Some of those Chessie cars *need* repaint, even the ones that aren't slathered in graffitti the original lettering is faded out just about to non-existance, particularly on rib-sided covered hoppers with B&O reporting marks. CSX has been the corporate identity for what, 25 years or so now? That paint is old -
  by SeanGulden

At least they're still in service and not being scrapped. It is a shame to watch the kitten slowly disappear though.
  by hazmatmess

I know this is a long shot but they aren't any Chessie engines still around in active service is there?
  by num1hendrickfan

SeanGulden wrote:At least they're still in service and not being scrapped. It is a shame to watch the kitten slowly disappear though.

Maybe through a save our history campaign we can force CSX to preserve some locomotives and rolling stock in the Chessie paint scheme. Wouldn't be too burdensome on the railroad, and they'd surely gain public image points. Doesn't matter if these are new locomotives and cars wearing the scheme either, it's more the historical significance that these paint schemes carried.
  by lvrr325

hazmatmess wrote:I know this is a long shot but they aren't any Chessie engines still around in active service is there?
There were 2 or 3 up through 2008, they were remote-control equipped and used in yard service. I know the 4618, which was still C&O blue, got repainted last year, don't know about the few Chessie's or the few Family Lines that were left. 2667 was I think the last Family Lines unit, I had the good fortune to catch it a number of years back (even then there were only about three left).
  by roadster

I believe all chessie painted units have been repainted into one of the CSX schemes.