• Union Pacific Roseville Employment Question

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by fortytipper

I just passed the reading test at Prometric and am waiting for an invitation to a train service hiring session. If hired what is a reasonable earnings expectation ? What amount of travel should I expect ? I don't mind an abusive schedule as long as I am comphensated for it. I am 42 years old and am looking for what hope will be my last job.

by Burner

Try reading thru the employment forum and if you have a more specific question then ask there

by b372_xt04

Are they hiring in Roseville now?

by Cagolddigger

They are hiring in Roseville again.

If you are hired out in Roseville, expect to chase your seniority. This past winter they furloughed most of all the new hires once their training was finished. I hired out of Roseville and spent all winter in Oakland. I returned back in Feb.

I am not trying to discourage you. Just be informed that there is a great possibility of you looking to other yards for work.

As far as pay goes. Again it all depends on how much you're going to work. Personally I made over 40k, but I went wherever needed to work. I worked in the yards. I could have made much more if I was able to hold the road.

If you need to find work in other places, be forewarned. You will not be compensated for your travel. Unless you are forced their by the company.

This job isn't for everyone. Lots of time away from family, crazy working hours, always out in the elements, a slave to the phone, and constantly being watched by managers waiting to bust your ass.

Good luck. :wink:

by GOLDEN-ARM

Mods note: moved to employment forum for added exposure

by UPLee

They are looking to hire about 40 people this year to replace all the new guys who RE or on IP status.

by izzymovin

UPLee wrote:They are looking to hire about 40 people this year to replace all the new guys who RE or on IP status.
just curious, but whats IP and RE status, retired?

Thanks

by b372_xt04

IP =investigation pending, RE =resigned

by b372_xt04

Is everybody back from thier furlogh in Sactown?

Does anybody have a clue reguarding the furlogh status in Reno?

by UPLee

Sparks has unassigned spots on the xtra switchman's board, its turning about every day. I had to work up there during the winter, now I'm back at my home terminal. As for the Roseville guys, most were recalled.