• Working in North Platte

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Xman

Need help to make educated decision to move to North Platte. I was offered a train service position with UP and scheduled to begin training in June, 2007. Will need to relocate family. I need to know how much I can realistically expect to earn first year. Trying to determine wether or not this is going to be feasible for us. We would be moving from Colorado where I have been earning 60k per year. I don't expect to make this but I would need to make 45k first year to support obligations. Anyone from North Platte have an idea what a realistic earning potential is for first year train service position? I am willing to work as much as possible. Also, any furloughs scheduled for NP? What are conditions like with UP in North Platte? Good place to work, good management, good fellow employees? Any help is greatly appreciated.

by paddy78

You will clear 45k in North Platte, no problem. The place is a meat market, so you will also move up pretty quick. Some guys hold road jobs after 12 - 18 months there, some guys hold RCO foreman jobs after only 6 months. This is unheard of in the industry, but then again, North Platte is an odd duck in the RR world and the normal rules dont apply there. A couple of things to consider when going to North Platte: number one, you will never, EVER leave that place once you are in. Transfers are unheard of because of the turnover there, so dont think for a minute that you can get some time in under your belt and then bolt back to Colorado. I made that mistake, and I had to get out of the business to get back home. The only exception to this is the rare guy who holds a job on the long pool from NOP to Cheyenne; I kenw a couple of guys who did this and they tried to live in Fort Collins or Greeley, but it was tough holding that job since it pays the best down there and a lot of old heads would bump on and off that pool dpending on whether or not it was hunting / football / fishing season...take your pick.

Antoher thing to consider is the managment in North Platte; I know a lot about this and if you want to look up some of my posts from the past you might get a good idea of what goes on there. Be prepared to face some very confrontational managers; there are some really good eggs amongst the mix, but you'll have to look for them. The TE&Y guys are on the whole good guys to work with; there are so many heads working there that the nasty of the nastiest oldheads are pretty spread out. On the flip side of that, since the demand for workers is so great, some not-so-great newguys get in the mix too. But by and large, the workforce there will help you out.

If you really want to make a career out of the railroad, North Platte is tough to beat in terms of advancement in seniority and if you ever have management ambitions, that is the place to go since turnover is high amonst the management ranks as well. They burn through MOPs and MYOs like nobody's business there, and there are a lot of guys from the ranks there who have made it up to the MTO, SMTO, and director level all right there in North Platte. If you prefer to stay in the ranks (I recommend that!), there are a lot of opportunites to hold engine school there and yardmaster spots are not all that uncommon. They even have terminal dispatchers there and those spots seemed to come up pretty quick as well.

The downside to the whole thing is North Platte will be your home for quite some time. Make sure your family is cool with this before you make the jump, because it will be like night and day from what they are used to in Colorado. I wasnt in north platte, but I was close enough, and I was spending every off day I could get my hands on back in Colorado acutally enjoying the fruits of civilization. Some people like the small town thing, and if you are good with that, go for it because it does have its merits. If not, dont bother, because it will get old real quick.
  by Xman

This is exactly the type of information I was hoping to receive. Thank you! I knew we would not be able to transfer back to Colorado or any where else for that matter but I'm o.k. with that if we can make a good life in North Platte. I'm really excited about the opportunity and have worked some pretty tough jobs and done shiftwork so I think we will be able to make the transition. I will look for your other posts and I appreciate your help.

:-D

by mille-ryan

I am also looking into moving to North Platte, but trying to get in the Diesel shop there.Would like to here from anyone working there, how shifts run,OT,things like that.I went to NP for an interview for a work euip mech out of Denver, didnt get the job, but really liked NP.
Also any tips on housing or a good realtor there would be appreciated, the job doesnt close until JUN 1 I think, and I need to sell my house here in Colorado Springs.

by mille-ryan

Hey Xman, could you shot me an e-mail or message me on yahoo,I tried to PM you here but it failed for some crazy error reason.I had some questions as to what ya found so far on NP.
  by hinge817

as a product of north platte, born and raised, its very much a cliquey town. your either a railroader or your not, simple as that. i transferred from mofw in 99 and spent a fair amount of time cut off and lookin for work. but it finally worked out as i transferred to Ft worth and have never looked back. i hope ya enjoy north platte cuz its a hard place to get out of.
  by resauto

hinge817 wrote:as a product of north platte, born and raised, its very much a cliquey town. your either a railroader or your not, simple as that. i transferred from mofw in 99 and spent a fair amount of time cut off and lookin for work. but it finally worked out as i transferred to Ft worth and have never looked back. i hope ya enjoy north platte cuz its a hard place to get out of.
Im on the KCS here in Beaumont and want to go back to Ft. worth........any chance on UP hiring again in FW? Hows the work....the yard ...road ect.... extra board ect??