• Working for UP in North Platte

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by sugarhill1978

i thinking about taking a job in Train Service in north platte, ne. with Union Pacific I was wondering if I took the job would they keep me working up there in North platte after training or would I get layed off or would they send me some where else in the district and if so what places are in that district. I don't mind relocating out of my hometown with my family but I don't want to be out of work and out on the street in a town I am not from. could someone from union pacific please give your advice, because they need people pretty bad up there I heard, so i thought i would safe up there and they would keep me working year round, please give me your knowledge on the situation, THANK YOU!!! P.S. I heard u can live like a king with a railroad job in North platte because its cheap to live there.

by neldo

If you hire out in North Platte I would say there is little to no chance of being forces somewhere else, The North Platte seniority distrist includes Cheyenne, Marysville Kansas, Council BLuffs Iowa.

by shadowrider43

Hiring out into Train Service the first thing to learn is do not believe everything you hear, only what you see. Many people will tell you to expect the worst, or I don't know why they are hiring more people we have no room. Chances are as a new hire once you finish your training and conductors certification which is going to take about 4-6 months total. If you do not have enough seniority to hold a road job in North Platte they may borrow you out to South Morrill or Bill Wyoming running coal trains until you build enough seniority to hold a road job out of North Platte. I would not worry about being laid off at all the UP is under guidance to do everything they can do to keep people working they have increased extra boards added to yard jobs, extended training time all to keep people working until more idividuals retire because that is who you are replacing are the upcoming retiree's. Good Luck

by paddy78

Employment in North Platte is pretty good, borrowing out or getting forced to a different terminal even within the service unit is pretty rare. Lots of road jobs, lots of RC jobs in the yard, probably the only really safe bet in the UP where you can count on working where you hired out at.