• Train service reading test

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by DukeLion

Passed my UP reading test today, wasent to hard at all. They give you a paragraph of info and a question under it, you reall just need to read the question look for the part thats relevent and answer. Probably one of the easiest reading tests I've taken.

by UPRR engineer

I guess its still set up the same way as i posted?

by overbyja

I have a question for anyone who might know the answer. I applied for UP train service in Adams, WI. After applying, my status said "You application is currently being reviewed." After about a week, my status changed to "You have qualified on reading test." The strange thing is, I never took any reading test. My question is, does everyone who applies have to take the test, or is there something on my application that waives me from taking it? I have two years at a state university, if that has anything to do with it. Or I wonder if it's a glitch in the system? Do you think I should contact UP and tell them about it?

by UPRR engineer

I'd say that means your "OK" to take the test there buddy. Doubt theres anyway around not having to take it. What do you think there Duke? What did yours say there bud?

Also, thanks for asking your question here insted of making another post.

by overbyja

I dunno. For some reason their system seems to think I already took it. Here's what it says when I click on the status link:
Status of Application: You Have Qualified on Reading Test

Congratulations. You have successfully qualified on the reading comprehension test for Train Crew (Train Service). Your test results are valid for any Union Pacific Train Crew (Train Service) position, for 24 months from your test date.
Hiring sessions for Train Crew (Train Service) are scheduled based upon 2 factors; (1) the actual number of vacancies, and (2) the availability of applicants who have passed the reading comprehension test for Adams WI. When and if these two requirements are met, Union Pacific may send you an e-mail and/or update your Online Application Status regarding the next steps.

Please note that selection to attend a reading test or hiring session does not guarantee employment. If you are currently employed, DO NOT give notice to your employer.

We appreciate your interest in Union Pacific and wish you success in your pursuit of employment.
Someone else I chatted with said that my status should have said "Application Accepted" before anything about a reading test. Mine went straight from "Reviewing" to "Qualified on reading test". If I don't say anything about it, you think I'll be black flagged for the job?
Last edited by overbyja on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by thejay

I took the UP reading test 3 weeks ago. It wasn't untill AFTER I took the reading test that my status changed to "qualified on reading test". Before that my status was; "currently being reviewed" for 2 or so months, then "union pacific is reviewing your application" for about 2 months, then "application accepted" for 2 days, then "invited to take reading test" took the reading test 5 days later, then statis changed to "qualified on reading test" my status has been like this for 3 weeks now... Hope this helps.

by slchub

I wonder how many times we'll hash out how "easy" the reading test is for the various Class 1's on this thread? :P

I think the real world tests should reflect that found on the job. Having to read GCOR 1.47, then head over to the SSI to determine if the rule has changed, follow by heading over to the G.O's to determine if the SSI and the GCOR are both out of date, followed by a Service Unit instruction from the Super stating that such and such paragraph in rule 1.47 does not apply to this subdivision from Anna to Hope but the fourth paragraph in 1.47 does apply to all other subdivisions in the Hub. Following that, decipher where 15 slow orders start with and without flags displayed interspersed with 5 Form B's with differing gangs overlapping into other subdivisions as they had recently in Salt Lake City at Grants Tower.

Comprehend?

by thebigc

slchub wrote:I wonder how many times we'll hash out how "easy" the reading test is for the various Class 1's on this thread? :P
At least we'll be hashing it out in the right thread! That's a plus.

by DukeLion

Mine went from still under consideration or something like that to qualified for reading test, I got a call from a machine telling me of this and what website to go to so I could register for the test. If you click on the "Qualified to take Test" status message it should tell you more.

by UPRR engineer

They wouldnt get anyone then slchub.
Following that, decipher where 15 slow orders start with and without flags displayed interspersed with 5 Form B's with differing gangs overlapping into other subdivisions as they had recently in Salt Lake City at Grants Tower.
Think thats what my buddy got in trouble over down there.

by overbyja

overbyja wrote:I have a question for anyone who might know the answer. I applied for UP train service in Adams, WI. After applying, my status said "You application is currently being reviewed." After about a week, my status changed to "You have qualified on reading test." The strange thing is, I never took any reading test. My question is, does everyone who applies have to take the test, or is there something on my application that waives me from taking it? I have two years at a state university, if that has anything to do with it. Or I wonder if it's a glitch in the system? Do you think I should contact UP and tell them about it?
Well, just thought I'd let you guys know that my questions have been answered if anyone's still interested.

Question 1: Apparently some people do not have to take the reading test before the hiring session. My status detail says that "a general knowledge test will take place at the interview. Those who pass the test will have the interview that day. Those who have taken and passed the Prometric reading comprehension test will not be required to take the general knowledge test."

Question 2: Yes, there was a problem with their application system. I emailed UP about it and they corrected it in about 2 days.

by UPRR engineer

Anything you can add to this place is always appreciated.