• Trying to confirm the history of a NYNH&H Sign

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by crij

Guys,

I am hoping to confirm the history of an item I picked up at Springfield this weekend. If it ends up not being NY,NH&H, it is not a problem, the item is still interesting, but if it is NY,NH&H, I would like to get a historical photo and info.

I picked up this sign at the Amherst Train Show, if you went into the big building (Better Living Center??) at the show you probably saw it. It is 3 feet wide x 4 feet tall, 2"x2" pine rear frame with a Masonite face. The sign is painted a Cream White, could have originally been a bright white. About 4 inches in from all sides, is a yellow 1/4" wide stripe. The lettering is hand painted printer's script in a green/brown paint

Looks like the comma after ALCO PRODUCTS may have originally been painted as a period, and then someone else came in and changed it to a comma and added Incorporated.

If this is a NY,NH&H item, I assume this would have been referring to the S-2s? IIRC the High Hood units never got to 1000 hp.

No matter what the final results are this will end up at the Ct Eastern Railroad Museum in Willimantic as part of it's collection, though I am hoping to complete the story of this item.

Here is a photo of the sign:

What I have been able to find out so far, through the people on the NHRHTA Forum, is that it was probably made by the Railroad and used when they displayed their locomotives at the Eastern States Agricultural Fair (Big `E’) in Springfield, Ma. Probably it would have been made no earlier the 1955/56 when ALCo changed it's name from American Locomotive Company to ALCo Products Inc., in their printed literature.

Does anyone know of any other signs similar to this still in existence?

When I was loading into the truck the Klieg lights in the lot showed that there was a previous sign below the paint. The previous sign looks to have been a continuous layer (probably glued) about 6 inches smaller then the sign, with a diagonal stripe removed from the lower section (lower field is about 1" tall on the left and 4" on the right, the removed band is about 5" tall). I remember a show on Discover or one of the similar channels that showed art historians using some camera technique to expose underlying layers of paint in old paintings that showed abandoned projects along with the initial sketches by the painters. It might be interesting to try this technique on the sign to see the old one, but I have forgotten the method, IIRC it used X-rays.

Regards,

Rich Cizik
MoW Foreman
Ct Eastern RR Museum
Willimantic, Ct 06226
www.cteastrrmuseum.org
rcizik5519(at)earthlink(dot)net
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

I think you're correct, this sign was a one-off, done for an exhibit, quite possibly at Springfield, apparently by someone who could not spell either "diesel" or "flexibility." For some folks, this just adds to the charm.

PBM

by 3rdrail

You can bet that that sign was "home made" and not sponsored by a company with that atrocious spelling. Probably a temporary sign, as described by above.