• System Seniority on the UP?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by git a holt to it

My friend that works for the UP said he heard a rumor yesturday that they might get system wide seniority in the current bargaining round, has anyone else out there heard the same or is it just another crazy rumor one hears daily??

by ArkansasUP

crazy rumor

by slchub

I would love that! I could get out of Utah and back east. However, in looking at the section 6's and the BLE and UTU wants and desires I've not seen this request for negotiation. I spoke to many a person in Omaha about this same issue over the summer and was told it was highly unlikely. Even trying to swap seniority as a trainman or engineer can be an issue as written by BLET Western Regional General Chairman Tim Donnigan:

Rule 114 of the WRGCA Schedule reflects the contractual right of two (2) engineers desiring to exchange engineer seniority dates. While the rule establishes this right, there is no demand obligation of the Carrier to successfully implement each request. Carrier may deny for various reasons it deems appropriate to support its decision. Nonetheless, we have implemented a number of seniority exchanges and/or seniority transfers, but Brother Gore is correct in that these are becoming more difficult to achieve, especially where an engineer applicant resides at a location experiencing manpower shortages. In the event you are able to find another engineer willing to exchange seniority with you, kindly advise so we can endeavor to reach a successful conclusion. Be forewarned that if and when Carrier reaches the point of a proposal, such general includes the obligation to take familiarization trips on your own time (no compensation), forfeiture of existing protective benefits such as New York Dock that you may be eligible to collect, passing of rules and related examinations, forfeiture of any prior rights benefits such as fireman’s seniority, etc., and establishment of new trainman’s seniority date co-effective with the successful completion of requirements to establish the engineer’s date at the new location. Guidelines include the requirement that seniority of both applicants cannot be more than five (5) years apart, an applicant cannot be a company manager, nor can one (1) of the applicants be near retirement age.

by slchub

Also, can you imagine the chaos with CMTS and Robocaller on a system wide scale?
  by EEjack

Where is "Back East"?
  by EEjack

I'm originally from utah, and in nebraska now....wouldn't mind "goin' home".
  by amtrakhogger

Amtrak has national seniority, however each district or work zone
has prior right men from pre-Amtrak days. Those men have two numbers,
an Amtrak system number and their prior right number(usually the man number from the freight carrier.) Any prior right man reverts to
his system number for seniorty if he transfers out of his original work
district.
IMO If the UP establishes system seniorty, then most likely the above
scenario would occur. Older men from predecessor roads would
establish prior rights while newer men would just have one system
number for seniority. That is if the men go for the whole idea in the
first place.

by slchub

Back east on the UP (for me) would be eastern Texas, Arkansas including Memphis and Louisiana.
  by git a holt to it

amtrakhogger wrote:Amtrak has national seniority, however each district or work zone
has prior right men from pre-Amtrak days. Those men have two numbers,
an Amtrak system number and their prior right number(usually the man number from the freight carrier.) Any prior right man reverts to
his system number for seniorty if he transfers out of his original work
district.
IMO If the UP establishes system seniorty, then most likely the above
scenario would occur. Older men from predecessor roads would
establish prior rights while newer men would just have one system
number for seniority. That is if the men go for the whole idea in the
first place.
I would agree, thats the way it was done on the BNSF.

by darandru

There is an old saying where I work. " If you dont here a rumor by 11o'clock. Then make one up! ". :-D There is alot of truth to that. The best advice I can give you is. Dont worry about something until it happens.

by jz441

darandru wrote: The best advice I can give you is. Dont worry about something until it happens.
Unfortunately, on the railroad, rumors do come true!