• Adirondack Scenic Railroad (ADIX) Discussion - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by railfan324

I've ridden the adirondack a few times. They do a decent job with what they have, but the brush is so grown in that it is hard to see anything out the side windows.
  by tree68

railfan324 wrote:I've ridden the adirondack a few times. They do a decent job with what they have, but the brush is so grown in that it is hard to see anything out the side windows.
That's why they call it the Adirondack forest.

Really, though - we generally keep things cut back as far as the Gradall will reach, which is about 30 feet. With an exception or two (like at McKeever station), it's not like the brush is right up against the train. In fact, many parts of the line are quite open.

There are some spots in the out-of-service north of Big Moose that are as you describe, but they'll be cut back as the line is opened for regular service.

We've got some window issues, but I've never had a passenger complain about the brush before.
  by railfan324

Yeah minor details, guess I'm just used to riding on different lines.
  by railfan324

Anther question, sort of off topic. When I was on the road near lake placid, ny, I saw a regular full length school bus with rail gear(guide wheel on it). The bus what sort off an off-white color. Is that something they use on this railroad? I had never seen a bus on the rails before. Looked cool.
  by Gunsnclapton

Nobody has ever mentioned anything like that to me before. Ill be sure to ask some of our older guys next time I see them. Hell, I might ask for a ride lol.
  by tree68

railfan324 wrote:Anther question, sort of off topic. When I was on the road near lake placid, ny, I saw a regular full length school bus with rail gear(guide wheel on it). The bus what sort off an off-white color. Is that something they use on this railroad? I had never seen a bus on the rails before. Looked cool.
They're common enough - often used in remote industrial locations (mines, etc) to bring workers in and out, rather than running a passenger car with a locomotive.
  by Leo_Ames

The Geep and switcher were coupled together last night at the head of their passenger consist parked in Lake Placid. First time I've seen them coupled together. Usually the switcher is parked alone by the caboose and boxcar at the opposite end of the station, with the Geep being the only unit coupled on to the train.

Longer trains to accomodate people wanting to see the Fall leaves?
  by mowretired

railfan324 wrote:Yeah minor details, guess I'm just used to riding on different lines.
What different lines do you frequent?
  by mowretired

railfan324 wrote:Anther question, sort of off topic. When I was on the road near lake placid, ny, I saw a regular full length school bus with rail gear(guide wheel on it). The bus what sort off an off-white color. Is that something they use on this railroad? I had never seen a bus on the rails before. Looked cool.
That most definitely would be a unique rail fanning experience; could you share the exact location of your “rail bus” sighting? I’m sure others who use this forum would travel to the Lake Placid area for a look. Could you post some pics?
  by hojack

The "Bus" might have been a Sperry or FRA detector truck. They look kind of bus like. They might have been testing rail on the Adirondack which they do on regular intervals, or just passing thru headed to another railroad.
  by Gunsnclapton

Their operating season ended last weekend. They might have everything hooked up because theyre going to be bringing everything south for the winter.
  by scharnhorst

hojack wrote:The "Bus" might have been a Sperry or FRA detector truck. They look kind of bus like. They might have been testing rail on the Adirondack which they do on regular intervals, or just passing thru headed to another railroad.
They most likely were heading North if it was a Sperry Car. The Hi-Rails stick to the main highways and back roads when going to there job sites. In all my years that I had been with Sperry we never inspected the Adirondack or any of the short lines in the area it was always CSX. I do remember that we were supposed to inspect the NYS&W a number of times but them cheap skates always, always late in paying there bill and tried to find ways to screw us out of paying for the inspection's after they were done!
  by charlie6017

scharnhorst wrote:I do remember that we were supposed to inspect the NYS&W a number of times but them cheap skates always, always late in paying there bill and tried to find ways to screw us out of paying for the inspection's after they were done!
Without really trying to sound rude, I don't think it's really appropriate to bash another corporation about whether they did or did not pay for serivces rendered or to call them cheap-skates.........just my humble opinion.

Charlie