• Bulk Containers to replace Grainers?

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by umtrr-author

Interesting, but I do wonder... and I really do not know...

- How many containers are needed to substitute for one covered hopper (I am assuming that a covered hopper is larger)

- What the investment in the bulk unloader, and whatever else is needed, might be.
  by CN Sparky

gearhead wrote:Could this be the key to the end of grain elevators and grain trains?
I highly doubt it. Look at how you'd have to handle that, compared to the existing hoppers. You'd have to take it off the car, dump it, and put it back on the car. Too inefficient! It's much faster to continue using the existing hoppers.

Something like this would work for overseas transport.... but for simply replacing existing grain hoppers, I just don't see it.
  by v8interceptor

gearhead wrote:http://www.scribd.com/doc/45563023/Bulk-unloading-sys
Could this be the key to the end of grain elevators and grain trains?
Back in the 80's ATSF experimented with a container that could handle both bulk loadings such as grain as well as general cargo. It didn't work out but perhaps a dedicated grain container is an idea whose time has come:
http://www.barstowrailmuseum.org/aframe.html
  by CN_Hogger

CN loads grain into containers in Chicago to head overseas. Not really sure where they go, but they get quite a few hoppers every day.
  by Railfanjoe

CN Sparky wrote:
gearhead wrote:Could this be the key to the end of grain elevators and grain trains?
I highly doubt it. Look at how you'd have to handle that, compared to the existing hoppers. You'd have to take it off the car, dump it, and put it back on the car. Too inefficient! It's much faster to continue using the existing hoppers.

Something like this would work for overseas transport.... but for simply replacing existing grain hoppers, I just don't see it.
Not to mention the cost to replace all the grain hoppers on the rails.
  by JayBee

Grain moves overseas in Containers for two markets; First for those countries who lack the infrastructure to handle bulk grain (typically very poor Third World countries). Second for those countries wealthy enough to be very finicky about the grain they are buying and they are willing to pay a premium to have the grain loaded into a Maritime container right at the farm where it is grown. Grain going to the poorest countries that needs to be shipped in containers is typically loaded at the terminal elevators located in port cities like Seattle and Portland, having arrived in a covered hopper, it maybe bagged before shipment.