• A little mystery....

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Justin B

I was snooping around UP's Tidewater Sub and I happened upon a trio of apparently forgotten box cars (a UP yellow/gray "map" car, and an MKT and an MP car with both still in their original paint!) and they had some interesting cargo. There were boxes of "single shot crucibles", and many boxes of a brown putty like substance formed into bricks, manufactured by RailTech. Does anyone know what these things are used for? There were dates of Jan 2000 on most of the boxes, and judging by the condition of the cargo and the rails, that stuff had been sitting there since oh say, Feb 2000. I'm thinking this was MOW stuff used for rail welding and had been forgotten by UP. The rails on the Tidewater Sub are all jointed, so perhaps UP was planning on replacing the joints with welds, but since the only traffic on the line is a local freight and some unit grains, they decided it was not worth the effort.

by SRS125

I know that Crucibles are used to make forms of all sorts and that the Clay or putty is used to seal the cracks befor pouring molton metal in a crucible. I rember hearing of steel mills pluging the ends of there shoots and banjos with clay between taps to prevent the steel from runing out of the lage drum style furnices. They also use Clay caps on the round barral 6-18 axle type barral cars when transporting molton steel from the mills to outher locations.