• Livonia, Avon and Lakeville steam question.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Aa3rt

In the late 1960's (and possibly early 1970's) the Livonia, Avon and Lakeville ran steam excursion service out of Livonia. I had the opportunity to ride this a couple of times behind 2-8-0 #38, originally from the H&BTM, now stored on the Knox and Kane. However, I remember that the LA&L also had a 2-8-2 that was out of service and stored on the branch in Lakeville. Eventually this locomotive was scrapped where it sat. Does anyone remember this locomotive? Where did it originate and what were the reasons for its scrapping? Why wasn't it preserved?

by jr

Hi Art,

I have some information on this, but not all of the details. The engine number was 17, I think. I don't have any details as to its previous owners.

My understanding is tha it was sold with the stipulation that it would be scrapped (the purchaser had to guarantee that it would not be re-sold for operation). It supposedly had a bulge in the crown sheet. Perhaps the LA&L was concerned about liabilities, but am not certain of this.

JR

by Aa3rt

Hello JR-thanks for your efforts! That's exactly what I was looking for! :D

The text is a bit misleading as the #17 was scrapped while the LA&L was still running steam excursions using the #38. I remember climbing through the #17 on my first visit to the LA&L but found it gone the next year.

(My family used to make a yearly trip to the LA&L and the steam engine show in E. Bloomfield.) Somewhere in my father's custody are some super-8 movies of the engine in question.

Regards, Art

by scottychaos

LAL had 2 steam engines..

from http://www.lalrr.co

LAL acquires 2-8-2 steam locomotive No. 17 for passenger excursion operations based at the ex-Erie depot in Livonia. A small pole barn is built to house No. 10 south of NYS Routes 15/20A in Lakeville.

After No. 17 develops mechanical problems, it is replaced by 2-8-0 No. 38.

No. 38 is removed from service due to a need for extensive boiler repairs.

#17 was from the Buffalo Creek & Gauley
She was scrapped.
she was a beauty!
for the record, it wasnt the LAL who scrapped her..she was sold to a private individual, who later sold her for scrap..
(amazingly I could not turn up a photo! im surprised..)

#38 originally belonged to the Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain railroad.
today she still survives on the Knox & Kane in Pennslvania.
(the K&K of collapsed Kinzua viaduct fame)

http://www.buffnet.net/~martyp/38liv.gif

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/locomotives/PA0067.JPG
  by EHBLABEY

LAL Baldwin 2-8-2 No. 17 was built in 1925 (c/n 58683) as Savannah & Atlanta RR No. 504. The S&A sold the 504 and a sister 2-8-2 to Elk River Coal & Lumber Co. of Widen, W. Va. as their No. 17. It was in service up until the early 1960's at the Widen mine. (While Elk River Coal & Lumber was the parent of the Buffalo Creek & Gauley Railroad, I don't this locomotive was ever listed on the BC&G's roster.)

In May, 1965 we acquired the locomotive through broker George Silcott of Worthington, Ohio. It was repaired at the former BC&G shops. Some modifications were made, including the removal of a smokebox mounted feedwater heater. The original tender was in bad shape, and it was replaced by a PRR tender that had been in work train service.

The LAL put No. 17 into excursion service in 1966. It was only used for a couple of years when it was sidelined due to firebox problems. In retrospect, this locomotive was an unfortunate purchase. It had seen hard service in West Virginia, moving slack coal from the mine tipple to a gob pile. We doubt it received much attention, and in particular, it didn't appear to have received regular boiler washes.

After we purchased 2-8-0 No. 38 from the Rail City Museum of Sandy Pond, N.Y., the No. 17 was sold to a Rochester businessman who eventually cut it up at Lakeville. The PRR tender was saved and used as a tender for No. 38.

Hope this background is helpful.

E. H. Blabey II
President
Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR. Corp.

by Aa3rt

Scott & Mr. Blabey-Thank you both for taking the time to research and respond to my query. Since my first post, I did find a couple of souvenir postcards that I purchased at the LA&L, one of the #17.

I appreciate your refreshing my memory-it was 1969 when I made my first trip to the LA&L and I'm afraid the ol' memory banks have faded just a tad.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed.
  by RailCityBob

Great film footage of Rail City. Both Old #38 (H&BTM) and #11 (B&H) have been purchased for restoration by Alan Maples of the Everett Railroad. They are under restoration at the Western Maryland Rail Yard in Cumberland. We visited both of them this past spring. Much has been accomplished on #11 but considerable more work needs to be done on both and I'm certain Alan will get it done in time. For more information on Rail City - visit my website at www.railcitymuseum.com.
  by BSOR Patarak

Flagg 75 came from there. Also, the water tower and water stand pipe are stored in a box car at Arcade, NY.