• Historically significant B&M Minuteman locomotive

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by SilverLakeRailroad

I'm looking for the road # of a historicaly significant B&M diesel locomotive that held the minute man scheme. By historically significant I mean one important to railfans, like the 252 for MEC which pulled the last freight revune train through then notch.

Thanks!
  by bmcdr

Well, lets see, F-7a 4265 was the last cab unit to wear the maroon and gold, and GP-7 1565 was the last diesel of any type, wearing maroon and gold, to run in regularly scheduled passenger service out of Boston from March 1978 until it was re-painted blue on June 1st of 1978. Also F-7a 4266 was still in maroon and gold when it brought the last southbound run of Train #76 the "Ambassador" from White River Jct.,Vt.to Springfield,Mass. on Sept.3,1966.
  by SilverLakeRailroad

Are there any particular B&M Minute man's important to the Conway Branch. Which minute Man was the last to pass through the Conway Branch? In know I ahve a photom of teh last passenger train somewhere. I know it was a 15## Series geep. I do like the sound of the 1565 pulling the last minute man out of boston but it's a bit too remote...

Any other ideas?

I will explain why I want the perfect road # after I've completed "the project." We'll keep it a suprise for now... All i'll say for now is that ailfans will love this!

Thanks for the quick reply!
  by bmcdr

I don't know what pulled the last scheduled passenger train out of No.Conway, I'd assumed it was a Budd car, the last revenue freight job very well could have been pulled by a maroon Geep. However, the very last "Snow Train'' out of there was 8 Buddliners pulled by GP-9 1730 and GP-18 1751 on Feb.26,1972.
  by MEC407

No, the GP9s and GP18s never wore the maroon & gold paint scheme.
  by SilverLakeRailroad

I'm going to get the # of what I think pulled the last revenue passenger train through the Conway Branch and you guys can make sure I'm correct. I really appreciate the help I've gotten so far!
  by b&m 1566

Assuming the B&M relied mostly on RDC’s from 1956 on, I’m going to take a wild guess and say that the last conventional passenger train on the Conway Branch was the same year. The GP9’s didn’t come till 1957? If that’s the case then it must have been a GP7.
  by jbvb

There are people on [email protected] who collect consist lists and train registers and might be able to answer this. I can add that the GP-9s weren't equipped for passenger service and I've never seen a photo of one on a passenger train, except when hauling RDCs in emergencies. I've never seen a photo of a BL-2, RS-2 or RS-3 on a Conway Branch passenger train, only GP-7s and E-7s.
  by SilverLakeRailroad

i couldn't find the photo in the museum today. It was in the 1960's, probably some sort of extra. It was a gp7 now that I think of it. You can never find things when you need em'...
  by b&m 1566

SilverLakeRailroad wrote:i couldn't find the photo in the museum today. It was in the 1960's, probably some sort of extra. It was a gp7 now that I think of it. You can never find things when you need em'...
The last passenger train was in 1961, so I guess it’s possible a GP7 could have assisted the RDC’s in snow storms or something. Then you had the MBRRE chartered Snow Trains, however I thought those were all in the 70’s? 70, 71 and 72?
  by bmcdr

I realize that most of the members that post to this site probably weren't born before 1980, and I'm getting just a little annoyed by the number of private messages I've recieved doubting my recollections of the "last" passenger carrying train on the Conway Branch. For the last time, the very last passenger train on the Conway Branch was a Mass. Bay Railroad Enthusiasts excursion called the "Snow Train". The train consisted of eight Buddliners assisted by GP-18 1751 and GP-9 1730 that came out of Boston all the way to North Conway, sat there for the day, and returned to Boston in the late afternoon. I was on that train, it snowed all day, and I had my camera with me and recorded for posterity the following three images.
  by MEC407

Wonderful photos, Mr. H. As always, thanks for sharing them with us!
  by SilverLakeRailroad

Thank you for that story BMCDR. I never doubted you... That is a very interesting piece of information. In fact would you mind if I printed the photo's out and your narrative out and framed it for the Silver Lake RR Museum. ( I would give you credit of course, and If not that's fine too...) I will at least certainly add it to my speech at the end of the line.

BUT... I'm still searching for the last passenger Minuteman Geep to go up the conway branch.... I don't need the # now, but I will need it come early spring.

I had the photo of the geep and narrative explaining that that train is the last regular revenue passenger train up the conway branch. It was passing the Madison Depot (Silver Lake Station). On the head was a 17 series Minute Man GEEP and it was circa 1960 (I believe). Unfortunately that picture was accidentally covered in ink and destroyed. Now I can't find another copy... ANYWHERE...

It's really annoying...