• NYC/PC ownership of Manhattan real estate

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by neroden

JasW wrote: Why is there no deed in the property records linked above reflecting this?
Possibly because, for reasons I have never understood, the online versions of NY property records are often missing the most recent transaction?

They always include the transaction BEFORE the most recent one. Last time I went to try to figure out who owned the various empty lots near my house, I ran up against this. Apparently I have to check the paper records to find the *current* owner, although the owner *before* the current one is always online....
  by Aji-tater

NJMidland states the NY&H was merged out of existence about 5 years ago, speaking as a stockholder of that company..

A week later Kinlock posts that it still exists.

You guys want to fight it out and let us know who is right?
  by njmidland

NJMidland states the NY&H was merged out of existence about 5 years ago, speaking as a stockholder of that company..

A week later Kinlock posts that it still exists.

You guys want to fight it out and let us know who is right?
Both are right. In 2007 American Premier Underwriters (or whatever subsidiary of theirs that did the deal) bought out all of the NY&H stockholders other than themselves - they owned 95% of the stock, the other 5% was held by the public. The the NY&H corporate entity still exists there are just aren't any public stockholders anymore.

Someone made mention of the bonds. Yes there are still two bonds outstanding due in 2043 and I think the second is due in 2045. I tried for years to buy some of these with no luck. Again many of the bonds were held by American Premier Underwriters. They may own 100% now thus making them a curious remnant rather than an outstanding issue.

20-30 years ago I owned a number of the stocks and bonds of these various subsidiary railroads. Most of them sold at substantial discounts to real value since they were so hard to buy and sell. Most paid a fixed dividend or bond payment that were quite attractive. As the railroads became more profitable over the last 10-15 years they have been buying these things back and cleaning their books. Now only a few remain like the Dayton & Michigan RR which is now leased forever to CSX and pays a dividend with about a 7% yield - if you can find any stock to buy.
  by s4ny

If corporation "X" owns a property and "Y" acquires "X" you wouldn't see anything in property ownership records as "X" still owns the property.
  by njmidland

s4ny wrote:If corporation "X" owns a property and "Y" acquires "X" you wouldn't see anything in property ownership records as "X" still owns the property.
I disagree. If Y owns 100% of X and keeps the X corporation alive then it would still appear on the records.