Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by G Dawg

I noticed on the outside of the cab there are alot of lights...how does a conductor know which are for the doors? what are all those lights for?
  by elec tech

green - brake released
yellow - brake applied
flashing yellow - parking brake applied
white - crew station activated
blue - blue light protection
  by G Dawg

cool! what is color for open door? so i assume when a train pulls into a station that light goes to yellow?
  by DutchRailnut

when door is open it shows Red light (at door), if red light is blinking it means door is locked out and won't operate.
  by G Dawg

how does a conductor know when to move the train? is there like a light in the cab that says all doors are closed?
  by DutchRailnut

correct besides the conductor signal, the Engineer knows if all doors are closed by indication on Computer screen.
the second screen shows each car and each door condition and where Conductor is keyed in.
  by RearOfSignal

G Dawg wrote:cool! what is color for open door? so i assume when a train pulls into a station that light goes to yellow?
Only goes to yellow for a full application of the brakes, lights will stay green even on a minimum application.
  by MACTRAXX

...and I will also add that the M7 cars have much brighter and easier to spot side marker/door lights
then either the M1 or M3 before them...

They are noticeable from a distance also-when I see them I know that the train I am looking at has M7 cars...

MACTRAXX
  by DutchRailnut

yup L.E.D. vs incandecents
  by peanut1

I know white light description was posted already. I saw the white light on today on a LIRR M7, How is that light activated and what does it represent?
  by DutchRailnut

it gets activated in car where conductor activates the door control panel.
  by RestrictOnTheHanger

The blue light actually means that speed control is active in that cab.
  by elec tech

RestrictOnTheHanger wrote:The blue light actually means that speed control is active in that cab.
If the blue light is active, then yes your speed control will be set to zero since the equipment should not be moved.
  by DutchRailnut

RestrictOnTheHanger wrote:The blue light actually means that speed control is active in that cab.
the white (blueish) is not ATC light ( its Conductor panel keyed in) and ATC is never active in a trailing cab
  by RestrictOnTheHanger

DutchRailnut wrote:
the white (blueish) is not ATC light ( its Conductor panel keyed in) and ATC is never active in a trailing cab
Dutch and everyone else, I was talking about the blue circular light on the bottom, not the white side-facing light. I was responding to elec-tech's post stating that the blue light was blue flag protection, which it isnt. Example: